Well, i thought it was mites... Brain exposed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensducks&agoose, Apr 6, 2011.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

But while I was treating them for mites, I realized that it seemed to be goose-attack baldness, instead of infestation... i treated everybody anyway, but our little crested khaki seems to have her brain exposed where someone (Nasty goose!) ripped her tuft almost off... i washed her up, and put neosporin on the brain stuff... it isn't the gray wrinkly brain, but i think is the dura matter covering... anything else I should do?

2. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    aww i hate it when stuff like that happens! i would definitely keep her separate and put antibiotics in her water. if she looks like she's suffering wayy too much and doesn't have much chance, i would put her down. [​IMG] good luck though [​IMG]

3. chickensducks&agoose

I have her in the 'isolation unit', with a young mallard drake with a cut foot.. so they can both benefit from antibiotics in the water! She seems totally fine, except for the brain thing... she's eating and drinking, and fighting when I try to hold her still to look...

4. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    So is the top of her skull actually gone? If so....do the humane thing and put her down. She will not live. She will get a brain infection and suffer before she dies. Oral antibiotics are not enough to keep her brain from becoming infected.

5. chickensducks&agoose

well, she's tufted, so i don't think she had skull there to begin with... our terrible goose must have just grabbed that tuft, and ripped it up, so it sort of flaps, like a toupee... attached in front, not in the back. I considered trying to stitch it closed, but without the skull over the brain, i am afraid I might stick the needle into the important brainy bits...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by