1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

well, I thought she should be a wyandotte but. ....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by northernchic, Aug 22, 2014.

1. northernchic

northernchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    Can you tell me what breed she might be as I'm told she doesn't look wyandotte. And if she is actually a she....or he. She is appx 13 weeks old. She is the red one in the middle.

[​IMG]

A closer view of her comb. She is the one in the lower right hand side photo bombing.

[​IMG]

I had some wyandottes that laid eggs and I gave the eggs to a guy who hatched them out and gave them back.

2. AZChiknGoddess

AZChiknGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    She looks like an EE. What do her parents look like?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She looks like a mixed breed to me. If the hens were Wyandottes, what were the roosters?

Also, she has a straight comb, which lessens her chance of having Wyandotte blood. Rose combs are dominant, so it's possible for a Wyandotte x straight comb bird to throw a straight comb chick, but not likely.

And yes, she is indeed a she, but you've got at least three cockerels in that first pic.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

She does have the EE look!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She is a pullet. However, I think she is just a random mix, not an Easter Egger. She lacks several Easter Egger traits, including a pea comb, muff/beard, and greenish/blue legs.

7. northernchic

Mar 17, 2014
    No. She isn't an EE. The chicks she is pictured with are my EE chicks I ordered this spring.

The "parents" of the red hen is my avatar/profile) pic. This is basicallly my first year with chickens. So, I'm learning a lot. I was told the parents were wyandottes when I got them.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  8. northernchic

Mar 17, 2014
    Here are three of her siblings I have left. Hoping they are all hens to but these are bad pics to tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your profile pic bird do indeed look like Wyandottes, but they're not the full parents of the pullet in question. I'm not even sure she could have one full Wyandotte parent. Something funky happened, either one of your hens was exposed to another rooster, or the person who incubated gave you a bonus [​IMG]. She's a pretty enough pullet, if you don't want to keep a mixed breed bird you should have no problem selling her.

10. northernchic

Mar 17, 2014
    That's what I guessed happened. That after the incubation/hatching, She was mixed up with my wyandotte chicks. Oh well. I'm ok with that. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by