"Well, I told her that you free range, I guess she's okay with that!"

coffeenutdesign

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Texas
Yep, that's what my busybody aunt told me today. She messaged me asking if I had any eggs to sell because she had a customer wanting some but didn't have any of her own. I had actually just gotten rid of a lot, but told her I had a couple of dozen. When I talked to her in person, she told me she hoped that $2/doz was okay (it was) since I usually charge $2.50, but she only charges $1.75 and her chickens "are ALWAYS penned up and on concrete and never get on the dirt. She hopes it will be alright. I told her that you free range YOUR chickens and I guess she's okay with that!"

*facepalm*

A) She put an ad up for MY eggs on a local swap page on FB that I didn't even know about.
B) She asked me for eggs for HER customer because she was out.

Then she disses my eggs???
th.gif

I get that some people don't realize the nutritional benefits of the eggs from free ranged chickens (which is why I always direct my customers to articles pertaining to such so that they can be educated). I also get that she's old-school and likes to boast that HER eggs are just like "store eggs" -minus the battery cages, because they do have a fairly nice little chicken concentration camp- But to just be so tacky about it...grrr. I just bit my tongue because I know that is just how she is, you know the type.
duc.gif
I didn't bother arguing about how my hens are happy and healthy, or that it is important to me to make sure my chickens have a good life instead of living like prisoners in a metal box on a cement floor forever. I didn't point out that the free-range/cage free/organic eggs are twice or 3x as high in the store as the regular ones. She's old, she's set in her ways. I'm just trying to be amused more than annoyed at this point and trying to be grateful that she did help me sell some eggs, even though I do have 1 particular customer who will buy any extra that I have.

Last edited:
Yes, really. They pride themselves on their chickens never getting on dirt or scratching. They are set up so that they can hose down the coop and the poop washes off into a catcher so they can use it for fertilizer.

Well, I guess there's a seat for every butt out there but...some times ya just wanna slap 'em upside the head and ask "what are you thinking?!?"

Good for you for keeping your cool!

How sad for your aunt's chickens! She would have been appalled to see my white chickens yesterday. Apparently they decided to take a "dust" bath in a wet spot under a cedar tree. The wet dirt was almost caked on them and I laughed out loud when I saw them!

How sad for your aunt's chickens! She would have been appalled to see my white chickens yesterday. Apparently they decided to take a "dust" bath in a wet spot under a cedar tree. The wet dirt was almost caked on them and I laughed out loud when I saw them!
I bet they loved every minute of it! The most fun of having chickens is just watching their antics. Eggs are just a bonus. I call it the therapeutic quality of having chickens, and it's easier than keeping a saltwater aquarium! I do feel bad for her hens, poor things.

That's is too bad about her chicken prison! (lol!) It is too bad also because well, chickens are fun and relaxing to just watch. Our evenings are now spend with a mug of coffee on the porchswing and watching our chickens! We feed them some raw oatmeal and other treats....watch them clean themselves and just watch them interact with each other and nature! So much better than the junk on television these days!!!!! ~Beulah

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom