Well I wondered...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carriehelene, Sep 14, 2009.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    if my black jersey giant was going broody. She spends hours on the nest every day in the last week. Figured either she was taking her sweet time laying or she was broodying (lol) on me. Never had a broody yet, so wasn't sure. Especially since she would leave the nest after several hours and not return. Today she's been on the nest almost all day, left it for 10-20 minutes, that's it. So just to see what would happen, I put 2 eggs from another nest in there with her. And sure enough, she pulled them right under her. It was so cute! Of course, the little stinker waited for 2 weeks after I got eggs in the mail, and bought an incubator for them. Now I just have to decide whether to let her keep sitting on them or not. Now I have 21 eggs in the bator due this week, and a broody with who knows how many eggs under her [​IMG]

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Sure, let her have a go! Have fun! [​IMG] What all are you hatching?

~Cherlyn

3. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Seramas, banty cochins and EE's in the bator [​IMG] Under the broody could be any of 7 breeds by barred rock rooster. If I let her go, it will be an interesting mixture lol

4. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Oooh, great lineup! [​IMG] I am incubating some seramas right now as well. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by