Well I'll be..... my 9 wk old just 'crowed'...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by looptloop, May 14, 2010.

1. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    I had some suspicions, but this morning she/he crowed! I hadn't planned on a roo, just 8 layers. Now what?? I won't be eating him..... [​IMG]

Guess my real concern is that we'll end up having a bunch of 'mutt' chicks running around and no eggs.... I read about having pullets, but am completely unprepared for a roo... Please help me decide what to do with him!!!

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    You could find him a new home!

3. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    If you can in your area keep him. Just think no more buying chicks you can just hatch them from your own [​IMG]
    If you can't keep him then comes the big decision.
    I have 4 roosters right now, ones is going to have to go one day as I only have three coops. In the past our extra roosters have went to friends and family and into their freezers. When I first got my chickens I had planned on them going into my freezer but once I raised them I couldn't. Maybe one day we will but for now any extra roosters get sent down the road. My Cochin rooster who is the 4th rooster out may be going to the county fair he is a lovely bird. I'm hoping he'll find a flock to call his own [​IMG]

4. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    I took a peek at my local Craigslist and everyone and their brother is giving away roosters for free! LOL, guess it's around the time roo's start to become obvious!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You won't have mutt chickens unless you don't gather eggs. And unless you have a broody hen or two, you'd better still gather the eggs!

I got an "accidental" roo, too. Love him. His first crows were hilarious; you'da thunk something was being strangled slowly nearby! But he got his crow on, finally. Just to help convince you it's a good thing to have a rooster (if you are allowed to keep one where you live), lemme share one of my fav photos of my accidental roo with a couple of his ladies, free ranging in my back yard.

[​IMG]

6. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    *love* the picture Linda! Thanks for sharing!

I live on 10 acres, out in the country... I can have a roo or 2, it won't kill me. I guess it's kind of like when I had my first ultrasound and found out I was having a boy. What was I going to do with a boy? Well, I love him all the same, guess I'll be loving on my rooster too - LOL!

Oh, and the 'crow' sound he made was hilarious, I thought one of my kids had made the sound. I hope he does it again tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by