Well I'm a new mama!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KDailey, Jun 27, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Hey y'all!

I just got my first chicks yesterday and boy are they cute! I got them from a neighbor who raises chickens. I hadn't actually talked to them much, there's several acres between us, and I probably wouldn't have even got up with them yesterday if not for an emergancy with a horse (30 years old, went home to heaven). They came running to tell us about the horse (not ours but on our land) and while we waited for the owner to show up, she got to telling me about her chickens. Being an animal lover I just had to see. So we left the guys to keep the horse comfortable and went running to see some chickens. Long story short, she gave me the 6 little chicks that had just hatched the day before.

She said one looks like a little Silkie, it's pitch black and really soft and tiny. One is absolutely adorable and looks like a tiny little chipmunk, she said it's some sort of bantum but couldn't tell me for certain. There is another the same size as the chipmunk one but doesn't have the same pattern, same colors yes but not in the chipmunk pattern. Then there are three that are a little larger, two are dark black with some white around their faces and the other is more of a smokey black with some white. She said they were Coocoo something or others but I can't remember for the life of me what the rest of it was. She said they lay really dark brown eggs.

So right now they're in a cardboard box inside with a heat lamp, feeder and waterer, etc and I pick them up off and on through the day so they'll get used to me. I had the three little ones all in one hand of my hands, and my hands are pretty small, and they were all conked out fast asleep! Sooo cute!

The boyfriend says if I want them I have to take care of them myself and that includes building their coop and run by myself. I haven't done much carpentry work so I just hope I do it right so my little babies don't get snatched by something. We definately have a lot of raccoons and cats around the house, not to mention coyotes and apparantly there's a mountain lion in the area as of late. Yipee!! Not...

So anyhoo, Hello!

EDIT: Just remembered the last part of the Coocoo thing! Maran! Coocoo Maran is what she called the three blackish ones

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi from Jersey [​IMG]
    This is a great site..good luck with you coop. Check out the coop design section I'm sure it will be helpful! Good luck [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan! There are plenty of us girls on here that learn to do stuff like that and plenty that already know how. And everyone is willing to help!

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Congrats!

5. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

6. dawg53