Well, I'm a sho nuff Newby!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by luvinrunnin, May 20, 2011.

1. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Just wanted to introduce myself since I will most likely be posting here quite a bit, or at least lurking. I am an RN, working in L&D/high risk perinatal for 17 years. Have been married for 23 years and have 2 kids ages 20 & 23. My daughter, mom, and I barrel race and have 13 horses.

We also have quite a few other animals. 9 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake, 1 bunny, and 7 silver laced wyandottes. We've had chickens off and on for quite a few years, but don't really consider myself all that knowledgeable about them so I'd like to learn more and this seems like a great place to do it!!!

I'd like to get into raising chickens for resale, and for fun. I'm REALLY wanting to get some cuckoo marans because I like the dark brown eggs, and also some cochins more for pets as I understand they are very friendly.

I had planned on ordering a batch from a hatchery but I understand from my friend Blaundee that it would be better to find a good breeder. Now, I have NO idea how to know if someone is a good breeder, has good stock (other than if they look sickly, etc) or how to find someone that is so I am open to any suggestions, not only on where to find the marans, but also to any info you think a relative newby would appreciate!

I am in Jesup, Ga (SE)

[​IMG]:frow:frow:frow

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

4. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, hello and welcome from Ohio! To find a breeder, you can just google the breed and your state, and see what it comes up with. There is a Marans club of america, and another marans club...can't remember the name, but they have breeder listings on their website and you will probably find a breeder in your state.

Seek and ye shall find! LOL (Google, and ye shall find) LOL

Sharon

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  7. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    [​IMG] bukbukbgock [​IMG]

8. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

10. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for the info!!! We do have a rooster that we are having issues with. We have the one rooster, and then 6 hens. The rooster has started to attack lately. Spurred me in the leg the other day in fact! It amazes me how the dang thing can put a hole in my leg and NOT my jeans!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by