Well I'm back from Cuba..& yes I am a crazy chicken lady **PIC HEAVY**

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    As many of you know I went to Cuba from Jan 5 - 12... What an amazing country. I had a fabulous vacation and over 400 pics to show but i think i would crash byc if i tried to upload them all ..lol

I will be uploading them onto my face book if you want to see all of them... (you have to be in my friends list to see my pics)

Cuba is a country that time almost stood still. The amount of old American cars that are still on the road is outstanding...

Its a very poor country too... Every day I hear on the news that we are complaining about the conditions about homes and the poverty in Toronto ect.. and I am sure all across North America but this is true poverty. Many homes have no running water, or electric most homes are pieces of particle board or scrap metal with a roof. Many of our chicken coops are in better shape then their homes. I am not saying this this for a pitty party, I am just trying to create a real mental image for who ever reads this.

The Cuban people are in general very friendly and will go out of their way to help you. The condition of their homes are the norm for them they dont look at it as being poor, they look at it as a way of life. We go to work and buy our groceries bla bla bla... well one member of a Cuban house hold (usually the man but not always) they will go to work and the other remaining family members will go to the garden and harvest what they will be eating or cull their chicken for dinner... Very little house on the prairie

There are stray dogs and cats EVERYWHERE (Bob Barkers nightmare let me tell ya) there are also chickens wandering freely in the public parks, they have goats in their front lawn. Many of you who read this may say yeah and whats new its like that all over the Caribbean but please remember I have never been on a true vacation before.

Our weather could have been better but there was no snow so I was happy. We really only had 3 days of sun the rest was cold and windy. Its easy to tell who the locals and who the tourists were. All the locals had on hats and scarves and mittens and the tourists were walking around in shorts and a sweater... with the sandals of course.

While we were there we befriended a local man, he was the security guard at our hotel. For his safety I will not be posting pictures of him online because he said that because he was in uniform when the pictures were taken he could loose his job. He was telling us that his wife is a dentist and only makes 10 pesos a month, which is about $0.50 CDN. He has 2 boys and everything is so expensive there. A non brand name hoodie would be 3 months salary for them. I brought clothing that was to small for my children, and also toiletries because these things are in great need there. I gave him about $30 worth of stuff from clothing to band aids and aspirin and he was so grateful he was moved to tears. He said that the maids get most of the gifts, everyone forgets about the security guards because "they are just there" kinda like the invisible man. I could go on and on... but i have been long winded enough.. please feel free to ask me questions. I will post a few pics here

O and I say that I am the crazy chicken lady because i heard many times loco loco (means crazy crazy) while i was taking pictures of all the chickens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is a coco taxi tourist mode of transportation
    [​IMG]
    this is the transportation for the "general population"... if you work at a resort then you would not take this bus but the people that are sweeping the streets and working at the markets would take this bus to work
    [​IMG]

this is the roof tops of the homes in dow town Varadaro. i didnt feel right taking pics of the houses directly so i tried to do it as discreetly as i could
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these men here, it was their job to go around the downtown core and prune all the trees to remove all the yellow leaves
    [​IMG]
    this guy here .. his job was to go around the curbs and clean them... we have the machines to do it.. well its all done by by hand there
    [​IMG]

ok thats enough of the depressing pics... heres some of my faves

[​IMG]
    Al Capone's house when he was in Cuba. It's now a restaurant
    [​IMG]
    Sun rise
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    Your vacay sounds very interesting! Please post more pics about the things you spoke of!

3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    yes i will... i am having trouble upoading them it fails and crashes 1/2 way through

4. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Keep trying would love to see more.

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Great pics so far! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Maybe you could write a blog about it so you don't get hammered with so many questions. [​IMG]

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Wow!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!! [​IMG]

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I've always wanted to go to Cuba!

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Darlene welcome back! [​IMG] I have been waiting to hear that you made it home safe. It sounds like you had a very educational and fulfilling vacation. I am looking forward to more pictures.................

9. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:Thank you... it was a real eye opener... we are going back in November, so that gives me time to gather a few things for the man we befriended. I am going to make quilts (just simple ones) and gather some winter clothes for the family its hard to believe that something as simple as a winter coat in not available at an affordable cost there. Second hand stores do not exist there

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Glad your back!! Thats sad..i feel bad for them... [​IMG] Now i wanna go and bring them stuff...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by