Well, I'm going to do it again!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LillianMae, Dec 1, 2014.

1. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Well, last year my flock grew to the size of 25, and then shrunk to the size of zero. No, a predator didn't get them. I had too many and they were eating too much and they all started laying somewhere other then the nest boxes and I just couldn't find them and everything was too stressful. I think I'm going to get some new chickens this year, probably three or four to keep it manageable for me. I loved having 25, but I wish I had just kept my original eight, alas, chicken math had me.
    I'm trying to decide if I want to just purchase some chicks, or if I want to try incubating. Pros cons for both? Thanks everybody!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sure 25 can eat---I have between 400 and 600(counting hatched out chicks)---according to what week you catch me so I for sure know the feeling of feed cost!

3. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Yeah and with them laying elsewhere I wasn't getting anything back, so I just couldn't afford that many at that time (especially with two Jersey Giants, holy cow do they EAT!). I'm going to get three or four for sure and hopefully chicken math doesn't get me again.

4. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I would venture that chicken math already has you or you probably would not be getting chickens at all after your first experience. That being said, since you cite stress as being one reason you got rid of your first flock, stay away from incubating eggs to get chickens. First of all your have a 50/50 chance of ending up with roosters (either half or all roosters) which will not provide you with eggs, will add a level of stress to your chicken keeping and, unless you plan on butchering them for meat, will put you in the position of having to get rid of chickens yet one more time.

Just get a few hens for their eggs. Determine how many eggs you hope to have, get a couple more hens than that and sit back and watch chicken T.V.

5. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Haha thanks for the advice! I guess chicken math does have me in its grip. I didn't think getting rid of the girls and boys would effect me this much, but I really loved those little guys.

6. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

It is funny how that happens. My plan was to start out with five so that I would have fresh eggs for breakfast every day. Well, that was a year ago and look at me now (see my head count in my signature file below). And, I just bought an incubator and am looking at adding laying hens to my flock as well. Chicken math...what is that?

7. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Haha chicken math is just a joke about how when you get a few chickens, it multiplies to more, almost no matter what you do.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    IMO the incubate vs purchase chicks comes down to how you'll manage the cockerels. If all you want is pullets and eggs for breakfast, go with sexed pullets. Way less stress than having to deal with all those cockerels (says someone who has a grow-out pen of cockerels overdue to be processed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by