1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well it finally happened

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MARANMAN2011, Jul 30, 2011.

1. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    OK two days ago i woke up went to feed chickens and find one of my 13 week old cuckoo roo with a broken leg no head and the but end eaten out of it. So I tightened everything up I thought. yesterday I woke up to check them and there is feathers everywhere I mean everywhere. They are from my 4 1/2 month old roo noone dead what could he have fought off and make leave. Im at a loss so I locked them up tonight hope not the wrong idea i cant find where anything is getting in. I hope they are not getting in coop first and then run. IDK

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

what kind of coop/run? Pictures?

3. MARANMAN2011

Jul 7, 2011
    Everything is locked up i think now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Chicken wire again. When will it stop>[​IMG]

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
  6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:*sigh* agreed...I will do it.

Ahem...what is getting you ask? Probably nothing or anything. Get rid of that Danged chicken wire and cover that entire thing with hardware cloth...1/2 inch openings no larger. Chicken wire serves only one purpose...keeping chickens in and nothing out.

Most likely a Coon is your predator. The roo did not fight it away, the roo got away. They reach in those openings and grab the bird...or they wiggled their front paws like fingers and the bird comes to investigate and gets grabbed. They rip heads off and eat the crop, or they rip pieces and limbs off or eat the rearend ...they are vicious. It will be back and kill everything there if you leave them like that. Lock them up at night and fix that pen.

Just to give you an Idea of what you are up against...that roo in the picture...a Coon can pull him through that chicken wire if he wants to and that is a horrid mess. Trust me.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. MARANMAN2011

Jul 7, 2011
    OK woke up this morning no casualties but I caught an opposim will he have done it idk. This was a quick trown togather mess the new one I build will not have any chicken wire i promise. Ive got a barn coming down. I have to look into hardware cloth. Hope I caught what the pest. Ill put the trap out again. Thanks all.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Possum could have done it but keep that trap set. Good luck and happy hunting.

9. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Quote:Agreed, but it is called chicken wire.

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Agreed, but it is called chicken wire.

It does a very good job of keeping chickens in or out of an area and thus rates the title chicken wire.

It is not good at keeping other things out.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by