Well, it happened..I got rooster attacked today.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missnu01, Feb 8, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    By our little silkie rooster...I was trying to clean the hay out of their feeder, and he kept flying at my hand...scratched me pretty good. Anyway he came at me twice before the big rooster came to save me. And save me he did. Oh how I love that giant rooster. he doesn't let anyone fight in the coop, not even with me apparently.

Here's my villain,

[​IMG]

Not sure why it is sideways...I even turned it in paint...oh well...

Here is my hero

[​IMG]

If I haven't mentioned yet, I love this big guy!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    He loves you ! Ive got a hen a buff orpington, thats doing the same, She wont let my rooster a silkie come in my way !

3. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Hey i was wondering if i could transfer an egg that has been incubating for a week to a hen with the eggs still surviving. Would the hen have to be broody? Is there anyway i can make a hen broody? If this would work, which one of these breeds would be the best to do the impossible; buff orp, delaware, cochin bantam, or americana. Thanks, if you can please email me at [email protected], becauseim not on here much. Or just reply, thanks!

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    you cant make the hen go broody ! , if you have one, put the eggs under her at night, so she wont break the eggs.

5. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Okay, that was probably a stupid question, butim new to the chicken business as i call it. I have a manual incubator and i thought it would be a better hatch rate. How do you tell if a hens broody? I dont have a rooster anymore.

6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    When a hen generally won't leave the nests she is broody...they will growl and cackle at you when you come near them on the nest. If you have one go broody, then you give them eggs. As long as the hen wasn't already sitting on eggs, then you could give her eggs out of the incubator, but they couldn't have been in there too long I wouldn't think...because don't hens sort of count the days and know when to stop turning and what not? Or is that just an incubator thing?

7. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Thanks. I was also wondering, i bought a hen yesterday, and she had been with roosters. Will her eggs in the next few days be fertilized. I really want some little chicks!! I put her in her own little mini coop, with a laying box. I also put three ceramic eggs in the box, becausr iheard a hen likes to have atleast 6 eggs before they go broody, so she will go broody faster, if it works. So wont her next like four eggs be fertile?

8. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    if she has been with arooster, its possible they may be fertile. Im not sure if giving eggs will make them go broody ! I have several hens Never when broody and they are already over 2 years old ! One time, I decided to leave eggs alone, and end up getting piles of eggs and not one want to sit on it ! Its Just up to the hen that wants to be broody !

9. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Hopefully she will, i wosh it was possible to make a hen go broody. I candled my eggs last night, and only two out of six are alive. If she does go broody, ill give her those eggs at night, then leave the job for her.

10. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    What breeds ate the broodiest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by