well, it is better.... a bit.... Cornish X chicks....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mojo Chick'n, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I moved the cornish cross chicks out to the coop, and it isn't as bad as it was with them in the house.

They are on a little lower protein food, cause I'd rather keep them a week or two longer than have them die on me, so their feathers actually cover their bodies (almost) now. I am feeding them 18% feed, instead of higher like is recomended.

I still am not sure I would do Cornish Cross again, but I do admit, they aren't so disgusting and obnoxious when they aren't right inside the house and stinking up the place.

If I did do them again, I now have the brooder coop set-up so I could conceivably put them out into the coop at arrival; Which would be a happier option for me than my sewing room.

so.... I suppose with the proper set-up, Cornish Cross aren't too bad to do. I still think I'll be looking for other options to them, though.

Maybe I'll do just a few each year for roasters, and keep my dual purpose for fryers and grillers. That is an option I could live with - I simply can't imagine doing 50 or more with the set-up I have now.

Happily I only have 5 [​IMG]

meri

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that brooding them indoors is a main cause for people having a bad experience with these birds. You just can't do it. EVER. SERIOUSLY. It's literally raising farm animals inside your home. I moved mine out of the barn early because it was so bad.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Yeah, I am SO glad I have the brooder coop done.

I had over 150 chicks in my house, not including the meaties - it was bad - very bad. [​IMG]

4. Mojo Chick'n

Maybe I'll try some of the colored rangers next time - I'll have to study up on those a little.

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    The only fair way to weigh one's previous results is to apply a true scientific study, one would need to place an equal number of the colored rangers in one's sewing room using equal management and for an equal amount of time and make a comparative assessment of the odors generated.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:[​IMG] true - but I mean for pleasant demeanor, meat and growth factor - not for stink factor [​IMG]

meri

7. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Mojo Chick'n :

Quote:[​IMG] true - but I mean for pleasant demeanor, meat and growth factor - not for stink factor [​IMG]

meri

Then it would equate to = odors = check, C x docile= check, C x no pear for amount of meat = check, and C x fastest growth rate = check. You just may have your answer.​

8. ssledoux

ssledoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    I'm raising 2 types right now; cornish x and a barred silver bird bred to range. I like the cornish better so far. I find the barred silvers aggressive toward one another. They fight A LOT, whereas the cornish are possibly just too lazy to do so. Of course, I have 6 cornish and 17 barred silvers, but, overall I think the cornish may wind up being my bird of choice.

I would NEVER have any of them in my house though - EVER! I keep a brooder for a hospital just in case, but my chicks go straight outside into their brooders when they arrive. They have heat, light, etc., but they aren't in my house. I LOVE my chickens, but my husband doesn't love me THAT much! [​IMG]

9. ssledoux

ssledoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    BTW, I have a post with some pics of my barred silvers and my cornish - just posted it today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by