Well it looks like no ducks or geese for us...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eggnonymous, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Eggnonymous

Eggnonymous Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Carroll County, GA
    I am really not so thrilled with Cackle right now. Please don't flame me here, I just need to vent to people who I hope will understand. As those of you who've been to their site know, they don't have a chart showing what's available & when. I went by they're hatching chart since there was NOTHING on their site saying that they didn't have ANY ducks or geese available until after Easter. I tried 4 times to call them Fri. afternoon after placing my order only to get a busy signal each time (no msg svc I guess?). Most other hatcheries have notices about Easter orders and/or availability. I feel like I am being treated like an "Easter whim orderer" which I am not - I have my vacation at that time and can therefore be home and monitor them and help get our kids in their care routine so unfortunately, it happens to be in the same month as Easter. And yes, I know it's last minute, but there was nothing to make me think I was about to encounter a problem.

Here's how it went.
    I send a very detailed message including my order number, what I am ordering and my requested date per their VERY specific emailing instructions.

Cackle (cut & pasted): sorry, but the geese and ducks are not available on apr. 4th. they are already sold. you may want to order sooner next time.

my reply: Well, what dates are available, please? (I also sent another email that was not a "reply" incase their sensitive filter blocked it and gave all my info again and asked about the next 2 dates on their calendar).

Cackle (cut & pasted): geese and ducks are available after easter. and depends on what geese you want. whether it will be late april or mid may

Now, mind you, she has my order number and my email with my details so she knows what I ordered so why not tell me when the breeds I want are going to be available if you'd like me to be a customer? UGH!

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Cackle Hatchery ships to other hatcherys cause those hatcherys drop ship. Plus Easter time is very very busy around that time anyway.

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Personally I'd go with Metzers. I like John Metzer and love the customer service there.

Laurie

4. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Quote:I'll second that..........I have never found another company that has as good customer service as Metzers. They work so hard. And on Tuesday I'll be getting my order from them (5:30am pick up at the airport) and they have nothing but my up most respect.

5. bibkel

bibkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Third vote for Metzers. Love my ducks, got them the VERY next day after they hatched.

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

X4...Metzers

7. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    My two cents... Metzer or McMurrary or Meyer is who I have always used...no problems with any of them

8. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I got 7 ducks last week from Ideal....they are great!

9. AllthingsG

AllthingsG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Metzer's hands down! You'll never regret it. Fantastic customer service and good, healthy, robust birds. I've been a customer for three years in a row - no issues what so ever. They Rock!

Joni

10. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Put me in the Metzer fan club! I was having some issues with a couple of their ducks (behavioural) and John Metzer personally answered my questions and gave me ideas on how to solve it. They worked and I am now a huge fan. Their customer service is amazing and the 2 mallards they sent me are amazing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by