1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well it's official, we're expecting! Ducklings, that is... :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HouseMouseHens, Mar 11, 2013.

1. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    So excited! Just placed our orders for four Anconas (two chocolate, two tri-color), a Kahki Campbell and a Welsh Harlequin that we'll be picking up between the 15th and 25th of April. We ended up ordering four Anconas because we could only find them straight run and wanted to make sure we got at least one (hopefully two) girl, and we'll be selling the leftover ones once we decide which to keep. The Harlequin and Campbell are sexed females. Eeeeeek, I don't know how I am going to stand the next month of waiting!! I guess it helps that I am going out of state to visit family next week until the 1st, and then I will be busy building them a new little coop of their own. I'm going to build it just like the chicken coop, but much smaller. :)

I do have a question though, how old are ducks (specifically Anconas) when it's possible to tell gender? I've heard it's when they really start quacking, but when is that? Hoping we don't get super attached to all four before we figure out the genders... RIGHT. Like THAT is gonna happen. Maybe I should make sure to build the new coop big enough to house them all so when we end up loving every one of them we don't have to pick which ones to sell........ [​IMG][​IMG]

I had to tell someone who would understand. A lot of my IRL friends think I'm insane. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    That is so exciting!!!!!!! What's funny is I ordered 4 Ancona ducks coming 22 of April, along with 8 Welsh Harlequins!! Where did you order yours from?

As for when you can tell which are boys and girls. It does depend. It can be as early as 3 weeks, or as late as 6 weeks. And it does take a bit of practice to tell which are which. At first the girls will almost sound as if they have a hiccup at the end of their peep :) What I found the hardest is identifying which one made the funny sound [​IMG]

Have fun waiting all the way till April. [​IMG]

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How fun! cannot help on the sexing as i have no experience with that breed but April will come soon enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by