Well, I've done it now!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SmockLady, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SmockLady

SmockLady New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Jones County, MS
    Yesterday I brought home two Rouen ducklings. As soon as I got home I regretted not buying four (that was our duck number). I couldn't go back yesterday to get more because we only have one car right now (thanks to a busted radiator) and my hubby needed the car yesterday.

I went back this morning and all the Rouens were gone, but I decided to go ahead and get two Pekins. The Rouens already seem to be a bit happier to have more friends. Is this my imagination? Now if I can just get these four to be as happy to see me as my two week old chicks are when I walk in the room all would be wonderful.

BTW, once we put them outside will they do OK on a thick layer of pine straw and leaves or should I clean up the area and put something else down for them?

OHMYPICKLES! I HAVE DUCKS!

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Congrats! You will enjoy ducks. I started with a mixed flock inuding Rouens and Pekins. I too added Pekins after (1 week) and yes, I think your flock will be happier and warmer with more members. My Pekins turned out to be the friendliest, even moreso than my Rouens, but I love my Rouens personalities. You will want to search for housing info and do lots of reading. Personally for me the outdoor flooring situation has been a real challenge due to mud, but the leaf matter does have its place. I have done pea gravel, but I will warn you that it will disappear without landscape fabric underneath. My plan is to re-do this part of my outdoor pen section this year. Hopefully some more experienced duck keepers will be on soon to give u their $0.02.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How fun! and [​IMG]

A little flock of 4 is nice. I think they do enjoy a number like that, i have 4 chickens and they get on wonderfully. My ducks(cough) are a bit more on the larger side(currently 10 with 2 more coming and 5 eggs under a broody lol) so it's set to expand yet again.

Which area are you referring too? the housing or a run/pen? My mini barn is made of wood flooring, with stall mats placed on top then i use a combo of shavings and horse wood pellet bedding.

For outside there is a 1/3 of an acre fenced around the ducks barn and the chickens run, the ground is left just as it is, muddy where the pools are and grassy further up and heavily treed including 3 apple trees and two lilac bushes. I do free range the ducks in good weather times too.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Im not surprised you regretting short changing yourself during your original purchase. Ducklings really are such sweet babies. They can hours of entertainment and will bring you much joy that will override the annoyance of any smell they start to create as they grow.

At least now- you will have an easier time working out who is who with the two different breeds.

5. jkhenry

jkhenry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    i only have 2 ducklings a khaki cambell and a black cayuga they are 2 weeks old and im having a blast with them

6. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    I have 2 Rouens and 2 Pekins as well! They are already 4 1/2 months old and so much fun! You will love them all but I found my Pekins to be the most entertaining and personable. I have mine in a run with a little "dog-house" style shelter. I use the deep litter method in the run with straw and pine shavings. It seems to work well and always soft on their feet.

7. jkhenry

jkhenry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    i also have 8 chicks which they will b sharing the coop as well the coop is 24'x16' with a 8'x8' house inside coop i hope they will all get along i put them all together on a warm day and so far no ones feathers sre missing yet lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by