1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well I've narrowed my selection down to 5 or 4

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Claire_Bear, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Claire_Bear

Claire_Bear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Garrison
    I think that 5 or 4 chickens would be reasonable for the amount of space we can provide. Besides, with as few as 4, i will be able to get to know each one as individuales. But i dont know if the breeds would be compatible.
    1 blue silkie bantam
    1 white silkie bantam
    1 Mille fleur d'Uccle bantam
    and an Ameraucana bantam.
    Will the ameraucana bantams still have that hawk like appearence as the standard version? How big should the coop be?

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    since you have chosen to go with bantems.your coop can be a 4 by 4.wich will give them 4sqft of coop space.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I don't have experience with Ameraucanas, but I do have three silkies (black, partridge and splash) and one MF d'Uccle in my flock. They get along just fine. Both breeds are pretty docile.

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Wonderful list of breeds. They should all get along just fine. Its hard to say about Americaunas (bantam or standard), I have never seen two that look alike. There is such variation you can't really be sure unless you can find a breeder who has americanas that breed true, meaning that the outcome of the chicks appearance will be predictable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by