We'll leave the light on for you........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kprhok, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kprhok

kprhok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    I learned that adding a light can help with egg production, so I added a light to a chicken coop I completed recently.

My question is.... does it matter if I leave the light on all night? Should I turn out the lights on a regular basis a few hours after sunset?

Seems they would probably finish playing cards and telling stories after a couple of hours, and want to have "lights out!"[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ok so every body says too but i dont! lol SHHHHH lol My light is on the other side of the coop and is not pounted to the roost.

[​IMG]

thats were my light is and the roost are on the other end of the coop. Hope that helps!

Chicken Girl

P.S. My chickens are fine with the light on 24/7!

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    OUr light is by the waterer.
    We got 10 eggs out of 12 chickies yesterday. It goes off at 9 pm.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I leave the lights on 24/7.

Imp

By the way, once chickens start with cards there's no stopping them. They'll want more cards, stronger cards, bigger cards. Then comes the Betty Ford Clinic.

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I wouldn't leave the light on 24/7. Just seems mean. They need to rest too. 14 hours of light will produce lots of eggs.

6. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Mine comes on at 3:30 am and off at 7:30 am. The birds go to the roost with the natural sunset.

They can get their card playing done during the day if necessary. If they're supposed to be getting some shut-eye, what is the purpose of leaving a light on 24/7?

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, if you are going to add light it's best to add it during the early morning hours and let the chickens have dark at night.
    I wouldn't feel good after a couple of days of trying to sleep with the light on all the time, would you?

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I've read that there's no benefit to be gained in egg production by leaving lights on for more than 17 hours (which could be considered a maximum).

In years past, I've left a small light bulb on overnight during the Winter. What I noticed was that laying was disrupted when I turned it OFF [​IMG].

I mean, what are you going to do - leave it on thru the Summer? Turning it off will result in a decrease in hours of light for the birds and they are sensitive to decreasing light. Only if you live north of the Arctic Circle will you be getting 24 hours of sunlight during the Summer months.

Steve

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by