1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well looks like Holderreads no longer has Pomerianians

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mominoz, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Was ordering some more Shetlands and noticed they no longer list Pomerainians, I wonder who their birds went too.....

2. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    He still has them listed in the adult price list...just not the goslings. Strange...must be an off year for them.

3. mominoz

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Well , I was debating this year to get Poms or Super Africans...when I crunched the numbers today I sent in my first order for the Shetlands I need. I ordered 5 last year, ended up with only one female...arrghh, and lost her and a boy to something strange , neurological symptoms during the drought. (covered elsewhere) so I have 3 friendly little white boys left, and no wivess this year I am getting some pairs!
    So now I guess it will be the Super Africans, but boy are they expensive.....I am tempted to get some elsewhere (do have a son in college:0)...keep looking at Metzgers videos...but I would like to show maybe.... Sort of want A+, but am wondering if I can get some b+ and maybe get lucky....(3 X the cost) ......

4. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Gosh that was rotten luck losing the only female you got last year; especially with the amount they cost. Good grief the Africans are very expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for in this case. Personally, I would search out private breeders online and cross your fingers: You may get lucky. Aside from that, unless a lot of people are showing geese in your area even a B+ should do very well.

I wish Holderread still had the Buff Poms available. I would love to get one from him...sigh. Mine aren't bad looking (gander is closer to standard than the goose), but I only have one unrelated pair. I have hatched 4 goslings so far with two more eggs in the incubator. I scoured the internet and found two other breeders with decent looking unrelated trios and ordered eggs that I will get later this spring. So, I guess I am going to have to work on them myself. I'm not really interested in showing at this point...just breed conservancy. I've never had geese before and when we decided to get some found an ad for the Poms on Craigslist of all places.

Anyway....best of luck with your search for A+ Super Africans. I sure hope you can find some that don't break the bank!

5. mominoz

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Have you tried Sandhill preservation, they have Buff Poms, I keep looking at theirs, but with no pictures that I can find, you hesitate....if they got someone to post some pics.... They have a few breeds I'd like to get that I can't find elsewhere, but I'd like some idea of what I may get. Heck even the bigger hatcheries have some pics, like Metzgers....so you realise you get something "like" their pics.....

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    No more Pomeranians at Holderread and the people with goslings reserved aren't getting them.

As of a few days ago, at least some of the adult Poms were still available and Holdrerread oftered to sell them to me, since I will not be getting the goslings I have had reserved. Of course, that doesn't mean they are still available today.

I tried looking through the duck list to see if any duck breeds have been dropped, but I can't remember what was on there last year.

Mrs Magoo is the only one I know of selling decent quality buff Pomeranians.

7. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    they are getting older and they are trying to cut back on thier work load (dont blame them its a lot to maintain). it is a shame that they are selling off so many breeds tho [​IMG] i talked to them a while ago and they said they had over 1,000 birds [​IMG]i am wanting to get a pair of american blues and a pair of super african buffs but thats a lot of money but the quality of thier birds is amazing

8. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Thanks Oregon, I appreciate the comment. Mine are nice geese, but do have too much white feathering around their beaks. They have nice blue eyes and the male has the correct beak and leg coloration (female a bit too orange): Both have a single lobe. However, I HAVE found a small scale breeder in the Carolina's with a Buff trio that has the correct head feathering and will be getting 6 eggs from him (more if I can) in late April. I have also reserved eggs from one other small breeder I have found who also has a trio. I tried to order eggs from Heritage Turkey Hatchery, but they are listed as sold out.

I am determined to acquire as many bloodlines as possible and try to breed toward the SOP: This breed needs to be preserved. These are such wonderful birds and my family has fallen in love with them. My husband and daughter had the goslings out to graze yesterday and just love the way they follow them around. So, with the hubby on board we are making plans to put in two more ponds (he dug most of #2 last night) and extra housing to accommodate several more pairs of these geese as well as keep them segregated. Hopefully, in the next couple of years I will have enough good quality birds to begin selling in earnest.

I already have several egg orders, the last of which will not be filled until the end of February. Should she continue laying past that point I plan on offering the eggs for auction on here and/or eBay.

I am sorry you will not be getting your goslings Oregon: I know how much you have been looking forward to receiving them.

Poultry09- I completely understand about the Holderread's wanting to reduce their work load. What is really sad is that they don't have a child, niece, or nephew willing to step in and help run things and eventually take over. If they end up dispersing their flock it will be a terrible tragedy for domestic waterfowl in the U.S.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Totally agree. I found out they had the Poms, but without a picture am not sure I want to risk the money. I really need to see the stock before I purchase eggs or goslings.

10. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    i did not realise they had no one to take it over it makes me want to cry thinking that all thier hard work could end up going down the drain [​IMG]they are very nice people and i hope they can find some one who know what thier doing to eventualy take over that is as nice and friendly as them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by