Well....looks like we did it.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tcal, Jan 16, 2009.

1. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Made it through what the news called the coldest night in 6 years. Everyone seems OK this morning but they did eat a good bit of styrofoam insulation. Hope thats OK! .......They have some grit.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Glad to hear your chickens were fine. Mine have done fine with it so far. Actually I don't think it got as cold last night as what we had a few weeks ago, because the waterer wasn't frozen this a.m. like it was then.
    My chickens managed to eat an entire section of styrofoam off their coop door overnight the first night they were in their new coop. And the cat's house, and every other piece of styrofoam they've found in their travels on this farm. They're fine. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What is it with chickens and styrofoam anyway? Mine eat it, too. [​IMG]

4. tcal

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Our water was frozen this morning even with the heat lamp.......they were VERY happy when I brought then some fresh water. [​IMG]

5. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Yep, we had the coldest night EVER here in eastern Iowa. Cedar Rapids got to -29, can you believe that????

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. tcal

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    goodgoshalmighty!

7. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Let me tell you, when it gets that cold, do NOT breathe through your nose! It hurts!

8. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    isn't it a weird feeling to go outside and have the snot freeze to the inside of your nostrils?

9. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    We had -22 here this morning. I brought the waterers in last night and put them back in the morning. Everyone looked good thiis morning, ready for some hot oatmeal:)

10. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I'm gonna give mine oatmeal tonight at dark to keep 'em warm. I can't believe how cold it is! (I know I am in TN where its not as cold as some of y'all, but it was the coldest I have seen in a long tiem this morning!)
    I'm also gonna move their heated waterer inside, I think they would be happier with that. [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by