Well Looky Looky Who Got Stuck In The Coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DesertChickens1, Oct 26, 2014.

1. DesertChickens1

DesertChickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    I was doing my nighty rounds, check thechickens, check the goats, check the pigeons. As I was walking down to the pigeon coops (they're down a little hill so they don't smell so bad near the house) I heard a rattling, I haven't had any predator problems so I thoughmight just be a pigeon stuck somewhere. But just in case I grabbed by BB gun (I really don't know what I thought a BB gun was going protect me from lol!) I walked around the corner and what do I see?
    [​IMG]
    Old mister Coopers hawk thats been harassing my birds when I fly them! I called my mentor (because they're really his birds) and ask him what he wants me to do. Obviously we both wanted to kill it, but that's illegal in AZ so our best option was to let it outand hope it was sufficiently scared that it wouldn't come back. So I opened the door and hit the deck (I do not want to have hawk talons in my skull lol) it flew out, and hopeful it doesn't come back !

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How did it get in?

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    About a year ago I was watching a show about metal detecting in Germany. The person filming the show was metal detecting on a WWII battle field in an Eastern German forest. He uncovered a Russian sub-machine gun and unexploded hand grenades, but the single most common item he found by far was metal ID leg bands from racing pigeons that had been killed by hawks.

4. DesertChickens1

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    I flew the birds today and left the hatch open so everyone could get in at their leisure, and I'm guessing he went in after one and since its made to only let the birds in and not out, he just got stuck. Surprisingly he didn't kill anyone, I think he was freaking out to much

5. DesertChickens1

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    That's so cool! Yeah the hawks are a menace, I've only been working with Roller pigeons for a month and I've already seen hawks take two birds right out of the sky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by