Well-meaning friends & auctions..

Discussion in 'Quail' started by prncssprplfrog, May 22, 2010.

1. prncssprplfrog

prncssprplfrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    Ok, my well-meaning, crazy friend called me up yesterday to tell me that she bought me 3 dozen cute little quail eggs to hatch!

One of my problems is that I don't know what kind of quail they are to know how long their gestation is. Let me go get a pic & add it on to my post.
    Either way they are going to have to wait until Wednesday for my Cayuga ducks to hatch before I can even put them in![​IMG]

Here's a pic: they are just shy of 1 1/2" long & 1" at the widest point.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    What do the eggs look like (measure them, color etc.)

3. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    those are coturnix quail eggs.......be forwarned...they are very addicting!

Incubation is usually 16-18 days.

4. prncssprplfrog

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    Cool- I'll make up a cage for them, but I can't have any more feathered friends or I'll be sleeping in the chicken coop....[​IMG]
    What do you do with quail? I know they are considered a delicacy & their cute, and you can eat the eggs, but....?

She bought them for $3 dollars a dozen. She was miss-charged as they were supposed to be $3 an egg.
    She said the chicks were going for $7 a piece!

5. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:Huh? Three dollars an egg for coturnix? I don't think so. The $3 per dozen is in the right range, plus shipping. Seven bucks a chick is also nuts. Maybe a buck or so each. Any more than that and they better lay golden eggs.

UGCM

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:WHERE AND WHEN EXACTLY IS THIS AUCTION??? [​IMG]

7. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:You got some of those $3 golden egg layers JJMR? Even if you do, I'll be putting my order in for the regular cheap ones. [​IMG]

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:WHERE AND WHEN EXACTLY IS THIS AUCTION??? [​IMG]

it got me to google shuyler lake LOL

9. prncssprplfrog

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll ask her again.....'cause she handed them off to me after I dropped her daughter off at 12:30 at night. It's a local guy who does auctions at his house all the time. She lives a few houses down from him & almost bought me a guinea hen (surprise!!) one of the last times she went. Instead she came home with chairs & a ferret. We live in an area that has a very large & growing Amish population & I know they bring (and buy) a lot of stuff.

I was told that she and I shouldn't be friends because she is a terrible enabler! I really don't need the encouragement as I have done 4 different hatches since I got my Brinsea in February & have duck eggs due on Tuesday!

Can anyone tell me where a good place would be to put the eggs until I put them in the incubator- temperature-wise?

10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Here $5 per quail chick is what the feed stores charge. But this is Socal feed is double as well.

I keep mine on the counter till it's time to set them (70's usually)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by