well my baby’s are boys

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
My baby ducks are growing up now and they are so pretty but they are boys and I wanted and needed girls so desperately now I don’t know what to do with the rascals .
They are like 8.5 weeks old and no one has a quack :( only raspy hoarse boys

I’m doomed I was trying to fix my ratio and instead destroyed it
I have five boys to two girls now smh

Attachments

• C658C6CF-2833-43FE-AAD8-B11CED6553DD.jpeg
    C658C6CF-2833-43FE-AAD8-B11CED6553DD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 56C73D70-D91A-4CF2-8A32-192382751243.png
    56C73D70-D91A-4CF2-8A32-192382751243.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Runners shouldn't be hard to rehome. I had 5Runner drakes hatch last year and my friend @CrystaBub is on FB and found wonderful homes. So if you do FB maybe check poultry groups. I’m sorry this happened it’s just a chance we take when buying straight run. Maybe consider buying females from a hatchery.

Last edited:
My baby ducks are growing up now and they are so pretty but they are boys and I wanted and needed girls so desperately now I don’t know what to do with the rascals .
They are like 8.5 weeks old and no one has a quack :( only raspy hoarse boys

I’m doomed I was trying to fix my ratio and instead destroyed it
I have five boys to two girls now smh
where did you buy them?

The first ducks i ever baught were "straight run". Turns out the people sexed them and used that as a way to get rid of males. so i baught 6 males

Aw, they are so cute! It sucks when it doesn't go the way you hope. As others have said look into re homing them or if you have your heart set on them, are you able to run an all drake flock?

I have one now strictly by default(Muscovy) but i know some do it on purpose.

Aw, they are so cute! It sucks when it doesn't go the way you hope. As others have said look into re homing them or if you have your heart set on them, are you able to run an all drake flock?

I have one now strictly by default(Muscovy) but i know some do it on purpose.

well I’m a mess and I can’t make myself full anything and I’m always scared someone else will not treat them right smh I have no business owning all this poultry lol
But that being said I could keep an all male flock but it’ll be a lot of work the older drakes hate the male ducklings and I have two female Rouen that at least give me eggs .
if I build a whole new pen I could try and put all five drakes together but they will serve me no benefit and I’m afraid they will kill eachother
I hate these decisions

well I’m a mess and I can’t make myself full anything and I’m always scared someone else will not treat them right smh I have no business owning all this poultry lol
But that being said I could keep an all male flock but it’ll be a lot of work the older drakes hate the male ducklings and I have two female Rouen that at least give me eggs .
if I build a whole new pen I could try and put all five drakes together but they will serve me no benefit and I’m afraid they will kill eachother
I hate these decisions
Ahh the dark side of animal stewardship. I am a gigantic softy and learning to deal with this side of it has been a challenge but also strangely empowering. I don’t like to cull them or sell them and it’s always a big day emotionally, but after I do I also feel more confident because I’m running my flock instead of it running me.

We all have to make tough decisions at times when it comes to the welfare of our birds and we sure can’t let over hormonal drakes abuse their females. I hatched last year. I won’t this year. I kept one Runner from our last years hatch and that gives me two Runner drakes who aren’t abusive to their 9 females but let them get with the Muscovy and it’s all out. So now I have to separate the flock into 2’s. It’s defiantly not fun but it’s part of having birds. Just like having too many roosters I have two of those an a gander so there is enough testosterone flowing around here to fill a kiddy pool! Those boys of your are gorgeous please try FB for poultry groups that maybe your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom