Well my chickens have not layed...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Foleys, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    any eggs yet nor have any of the 5 crowed. We are thinking thay are about 18- 20 weeks old now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any suggestions why they are not laying yet?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They aren't laying yet, because all but one are roosters. The one pullet looks to be quite a ways from laying yet.

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    They will lay @ 20 to 24 weeks do you have a nice dark place where the nesting boxes are? Do they sing the egg song yet do they squat? I just kept watching mine and I still am for 2 varieties that are 21 weeks and not laying yet but they are getting closer everyday.....I'm just happy that 3 of mine have started some are on the every other day shift and now it's going to get blazing hot I figure in a month to 6 weeks they will be more regular and then I hope for 18 months of eggs

4. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:But none of them are rooing yet

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. The only pullet is in the last picture, in the back. (first picture far right)

6. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    the white one looks much like a columbian roo...

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    There wont be a lot of eggs coming from that particular bunch [​IMG]

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They really all look like roosters to me.........except one.

9. Chilebound

Chilebound Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    I dont think they are crowing yet because there are so many of them-and few pullets. They havent fought it out yet to see who the boss is, --and then only he will crow--a crow by any other is an invitation to fight. I had a friend who keep seven roosters on one hen for three years, but she said that in the end each and every one of the roosters was mean, perhaps because they had to fight it out over the one hen

10. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:hummm... that is interesting! I have 16 birds, of those 16, 2 are silkie roo's, 2 are fayoumi roo's, one is a columbian roo (we believe we have one more that is too young to be lables yet! lol) they all crow trying to out do each other... and very little argueing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by