well my second order of eggs came in...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sky68ou1, Nov 16, 2009.

1. sky68ou1

sky68ou1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    and now im so ticked off at the postal service its not even funny! they broke nearly ALL of my eggs!! i didnt count them but was supposed to be between 50 and 60 and all but about 10 were broke! the box was slightly damaged on one corner ONLY like someone intentionally dropped it that way. i am very angry right now! the person i bought them from is NOT at fault. they packed them well. this is obviously a shipping issue caused by the postal service! anyone have any advice for me? im out my eggs and the money i paid. i cant blame the seller because she did what she shouldve. the box is clearly marked FRAGILE for crying out loud! more than once even![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. Georgiapea

Georgiapea Out Of The Brooder

Was the box specifically marked that it contained hatching eggs? I got an order of baby chicks from Ideal this week and there was a sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 orange colored paper taped to the box with a list of creatures and X'd for chickens. The box itself was quite fragile looking and could easily have been crushed if not handled with care. All 24 of my chicks were/are alive and well.

I would talk to my post office and ask how hatching eggs are usually marked and handled. Perhaps there is wording or a form the sender is not aware of.

Georgia in Alabama

3. sky68ou1

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    Quote:yes it was clearly marked that it had eggs! they told us it was handled like any other package no special treatment! my brother had to talk to them cuz i am just so upset over it!

4. Georgiapea

Georgiapea Out Of The Brooder

Well that's the pits! I guess it's one of those questionable things where post office workers get to decide where life begins! In my book a fertile egg designated as a 'hatching egg' is already a living being. Did the sender insure the package? Have you communicated with the sender yet?

Georgia in Alabama

5. sky68ou1

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    no it wasnt insured. and yes i am talking with her. its not her responsiblity to cover their mistakes nor is it mine. i am just so angry!

6. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I think some employees intentionally damage packages marked "FRAGILE". It's really a shame, and it makes me angry too when your eggs arrive, clearly marked "Fragile, hatching eggs", and the box is smashed!!! @--holes!!! I have mine sent to me unmarked and they get here in better shape. It is a risk we take having our eggs shipped to us, but what do you do. PRAY! LOL!

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    they need a better system for shipping so the handlers are held more responsible. Like check points..each check point that the box gets to..the workers have to check if it was damaged or not..and if it was they can look back and see who handeled the box before them and then fire the idiot postal worker..

8. sky68ou1

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    my brother is talking with USPS right now and they are trying to lie to us about the procedures of special packages such as this. i found the procedure online that states it doesnt have to be insured to recieve special handling. the policy covers poultry live plants and animals and so on! the lady is trying to weasel them out of it! grrrrr i am spitting mad right now.

edited to add link of info found.

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={cfa9f470-d2e1-11de-77a5-000000000000}&event=1&view()=c%7B08446e00-57e2-11dc-51b6-000000000000%7D&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=2862&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&allStr=&phraseStr=&anyStr=&noneStr=&keywordStr=&tTitle=&topicFromSub=&topicsORSubUrl=&report(0000)=p{409592d0-6974-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&bcobjectId={409592d0-6974-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&search=fragile packages&topicAndSubtopic=Business$ALL

you have to click on special handling to see the details. and i dont know why the whole link isnt working.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  9. sky68ou1

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    now they are trying to say that delicate packages such as these dont qualify for special handling even though you can see for yourself it does! i am still fighting with them. i will update this periodically.

also a bit of advice for the future: DONT ship anything without ALL of the following words on it. this way they cant mistake its a special handling package. fragile, eggs, special handling required, live poultry embryos, etc. especially the special handling required! they are trying to say that even though its clearly marked fragile eggs so on so forth that they are not at fault for the mishandling of the package during shipping and breaking nearly the entire shipment! i wont stop till i get something done!

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm really surprised they weren't shipped with insurance. For the small amount extra that insurance costs, it is worth the piece of mind, so I always insure anything that I can't afford to go missing or get damaged in shipping. I wouldn't be surprised if the USPS takes extra care with insured items because they don't want to have to pay up in the event they don't arrived in perfect condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by