Well... my "urban farm" got busted.. Meeting tonight!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by FarmerChad, May 17, 2011.

1. FarmerChad

FarmerChad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    The girls had only been outside for 2 whole nights, then the city police stopped by (last Friday).They informed me that I was not allowed to have chickens in the city. Handed me a copy of the ordinance. All of which I knew ahead of time. Kinda funny though, the officers had this look on their faces as if they were even ashamed to be standing there telling me this.

The city council meeting is tonight. We plan to attend and see what can be done to help change the ordinance. Wish us luck. I will update later tonight all the details.

2. chickcorner

chickcorner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Ma
    Good luck, RI pulled it off, Hope you can too.

3. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Awww shucks, that ... searching for a word that won't get me censored.... is really really rotten. Sorry to hear, but the chance one takes with "knew it all along". Hope you are up for it, can be tough going sometimes.

Wishing you the best of luck, I'd be interested in hearing how the meeting goes.

4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Best of luck to you!! I hope it goes well!

Hard to believe you got busted for only two hens. Are they especially noisy?

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    See if you can get some neighbor's support to go along with you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Good Luck! Hopefully you can get things changed!!
    [​IMG]

7. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    It must of been the nieghbors that calle since the chickens were out only 2 nights.
    Quote:

8. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    That really SUCKS!! I don't understand why city folk have such a hard time with someone having hens. I can understand roos, but hens? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :tongueThe only noise they really make is when laying and then small chirring noises throughout the day. I really hate being part of the human race sometimes.

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Why must city folk interfere with property rights so much?

If they don't ban parrots then maybe you can keep them indoors like clandestinechickens.blogspot.com does. That is, if their objection is that it disturbs the neighbors. If they regulate what happens inside your home, then they need to be replaced with reasonable regulators.

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by