Well no more turkeys

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TarzantheChickenMan, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    got up this morning to the turkeys all over the yard dead
    i worked late last night and nobody closed the door on their pen
    so this morning 8 bodies and 2 missing maybe they will show up
    neighbors dogs again
    i shot these dogs parents 2 years ago but the puppies kill turkeys too
    but i didnt see them do it so no chance of compensation
    on a good not the lonely guinea survived his second dag attack he is the lone survivor of two massacres now need to breed him and ill never lose a guinea again lol
    [​IMG]
    Tarzan

2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am so sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Wow, sorry to hear that. I have to remind myself to close the door as it gets dark so early now....

4. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Iv waken up in the middle of the night,Debating on whether I closed the coop up lol.

Sorry for your loss,we all make mistakes

5. TarzantheChickenMan

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    Well everyone is safe and sound tonight
    so far
    just got go back to the 3S's
    Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut up

on any dog that is on my property
    there are a couple dogs that come over to play with mine and my kids but they dont mess with the birds or id send them packing but there is a pack of dogs that attacked my neighbors dog this spring and nearly killed it most of them are dead but there are still 2 or 3 still about that havent been caught
    on a funnier note we als have a pack of goats in the neighborhood one of the buck was shot this spring because he wouldnt let the people into their house

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I hear ya on the dog situation.People can be so irresponsible for their animals.Just because dogs have a prey drive,Doesn't give them the right to enter MY property and pester my animals.People always say "its not the dogs fault".Ummm yea it is.
    Dogs know what they are doing.Ever seen a dog that has just tore up your favorite pair of boots? They put their guilt face on because they KNOW they did something wrong.

If your dog comes in my yard and kills something what am I suppose to do? Just shoo him away?...What would happen if my chicken jumped the fence and killed your dog.?UGH
    Okayy getting off my soap box now.

We also had a wild goat in the area.He was HUGE solid white Boer/kiko cross,must have been dumped.Haven't seen him in awhile... [​IMG]

7. TarzantheChickenMan

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    If your dog comes in my yard and kills something what am I suppose to do? Just shoo him away?...What would happen if my chicken jumped the fence and killed your dog.?

I love this never thought of this that way [​IMG]

8. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    Quote:Ditto...Sorry for your loss..I was given 6 tom turkey chicks..to bad you live so far away. I don't know what I am going to do with them. Feed them till they feed me I guess.[​IMG] But that means another coop [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am really sorry for your lose. [​IMG]

However, this is a timey subject. Today I am getting ready to upgrade the chicken’s pen and build a real ground level door. This is so that the chickens can put themselves to roost at night. I too am worried that I might “forget” to lock them in at night. Old age or maybe we get too busy and have too much on our minds nowadays. [​IMG]

As silly as it sounds, I am going to get a twenty-four hour alarm clock and make sure it goes off at the appropriate time as a backup reminder so that I can make sure the girls are safe before dark. Most of the time they let me know, but I want to make sure. [​IMG]

10. TarzantheChickenMan

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    on a good note my sisterinlaw felt bad so she about my turkeys so she just bought me 8 slate blues that are 20 weeks old
    and the people threw in 2 guinea keets to boot
    so ill have breeder now for next spring woot woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by