Well....not chickens..but butchered my first lamb.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kooltex, Dec 5, 2010.

1. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Finally gathered up enough guts to just do it myself. I had a 8 mo old southdown wether. Wasn't so hard. I was dreading the killing part. Actually the hardest part was skinning the thing. I'm glad I did it though, next years lamb crop won't be so hard! Anyone else butcher their own?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Yep, we still have 4 more to go. for me, the hardest part is killing. skinning is easy peasy.

3. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Quote:How do you skin yours? It wasn't too difficult until I got to the breast and neck.

4. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    how did you choose to kill?

we had some lamb processed and it was crazy expensive (like $25 kill fee... but only $20 processing fee)

5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I stick the knife in right under the chin and turn it sharp side out and just pull straight down. It does cut the windpipe along with both arteries. Big animals kinda freak me out because your so up close and personal. Chickens they go into cones and you cut... no big deal. Lambs or goats you have to hold them down or tie their legs. Tough for a first time, a lot of people use a gun and then cut the throat.

6. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    I can't say that I've ever done a lamb but I can't imagine that they are any harder than a deer once they are dead.

Congrats on the lams by the way I wish some day that I can have enough room for some fuzzies. Quick question, do you have any experience with sheep milk? I am familiar with goats milk, but never sheep.

7. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Quote:I cut the throat and let him bleed out. Felt bad though, I didn't cut deep enough the first time and only got the jugular, had to cut again. Got the artery that time and he was gone in seconds. Yeah it is alot more up close and personal.

8. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Quote:Not a whole lot. I did milk a ewe last year just too see what it taste like. It's very rich and thick, and quite good I think. I wouldn't mind having a couple of dairy sheep for milking. I may get me some!

9. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Thanks, I wasn't trying to jack your thread but I am very interested in sheep and I just had to ask.

10. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Quote:No prob. I like them alot. They are easy to raise, and are small enough for mne to process myself. Though my hubby will help if I ask him. He helped me hold the lamb yesterday while I killed. He said "Baby, you got more balls than i do!" LOL.
    I wasn't looking forward to the killing part, but I don't raise them for pets. I keep telling myself they are food, and are healthier for my family because we know what we have fed them.
    Same for the milk sheep, would love to have fresh milk that's good and natural too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by