Well.. now i'm a bit sad :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Aug 14, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    well just found out my ducklings may die from being shrink wrapped.. if it wasnt for my stupid idea to open the lid of the incubator
    -_-

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    don't blame yourself....it was an accident

3. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:well I am praying they dont, everyone is telling me they probably will because I opened the top..

4. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Can't you help them out?

5. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:Well i am not sure they are yet one just started to make a hole in the egg. If they do I really dont know what to do this is my first hatch

6. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Leave them alone, opening the bator does not mean for sure they will shrink wrap

7. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:doing that right now, god I hope they're ok

8. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    We've always used a broody hen or momma duck, so I don't understand. Opening the incubator ...lowers the humidity and dries out the inner membrane too much? Or is it something else? I have had to finish incubating eggs with a heating pad, after the setting duck was killed by a predator - we did this twice. We made humidity with a damp washcloth laid over the eggs, and the hatch rate was excellent.

Quote:

9. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:
    Thats what I am saying I have seen people have problems with humidity during lockdown and theirs hatched? Maybe everyone is overexaggerating a bit? I am only upset because a few people told me that they could die. Basically what i've been told is during the last 3 days(lockdown) if humidity drops it can dry the membrane and possibly kill them. And appearently if the humidity drops for more then 30 seconds they can get shrink wrapped.

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Well i am not sure they are yet one just started to make a hole in the egg. If they do I really dont know what to do this is my first hatch

they should be fine.. if one just started to pip there isnt much to worry about.. the main thing is to always get the humidity up fast when you do have to open during lockdown.. more importantly when there is an external pip.. just keep an eye on the pipped one.. if he continues to make progress then he's good to go

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by