1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Well on the way to being settled and a quick thank you

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Boudroux, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Boudroux

Boudroux Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    New to the site and chicken ownership and I can't believe how much I have learned in such a short time from this place.

I adopted three hens and for the first week they free ranged in my yard, roosted in a tree and have been laying in a nest built under a bush.

I completed the nest box, built a coop and the girls settled in immeditaly. Reading around BYC I have kept them in the coop for a couple days and yesterday I put a couple golf balls in the nest box. Today I have the first round of eggs in the nest box. I plan on leaving them in there for a few days until they lay more before I let them free range. I want to make sure when they are free to roam that the go to the box to lay and not go back to the bushes. It is so much easier to lift a lid and collect eggs then to get on my knees and reach back into the bush nest. They built that sucker way in there.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the posters for taking the time to answer questions which allowed me to get off to a good start the correct way without a lot of fuss.

Thank you again and I hope to be able to contribute here as I go along.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. [​IMG] I'm fairly new to chicken myself 16 mths. I've learned so much here from building my coop to hatching my own chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: