1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Well, one of the new hens is laying. Problem is....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pupsicle, Jan 28, 2009.

1. pupsicle

pupsicle In the Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    She's laying in a pile of dirty towels on the floor of my next-door neighbors' laundry room.

They don't keep the exterior door closed. She somehow managed to jump the 6-foot fence (three times), nest in the towels, and go home again.

They were very nice about it, if a little perplexed at the discovery....

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have a neighbor's big white hen who comes for breakfast with her friends then goes home. She lives about 8 acres away!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Seriously? If I were them I'd keep the eggs and say nothing! [​IMG]

4. pupsicle

pupsicle In the Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    It's a house filled with 5 college-aged boys. They aren't really smart enough to realize that, hey, it's free eggs. Mostly they were just really, really confused.

5. farmergal

farmergal Songster

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    heehee! chickens do the darnedest things... I'd be pretty excited to find an egg in my pile of dirty laundry! course, if I did find an egg in my dirty laundry, it would probably be because I left it in my pocket and it got squished...

6. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Songster

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Quote:At least the towels were dirty:D. I think chicken poo washes off easily in the washer.

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh gosh, that's really funny! [​IMG]

8. rizq

rizq Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:Same here! A couple weeks ago I washed all my fleece jackets and just happened to check pockets before I tossed them into the pile ... I found the previous day's egg in the pocket of one of them [​IMG] At least it was intact and did not make any messes, lol.

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Songster

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    ... clip her wings....
    and give her a nice, safe, quiet place on your property to lay them.. poor thing, NO place on your property is good enough for her kids??? wow i would be insulted..

10. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Sounds like they free range.
    If you have a run, confine her until she starts laying in the nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by