Well parrot people meet Paulie...

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Crazy4Chicks, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    This is my Quaker girl Paulie ( she came with that name [​IMG] ) she came to me from a very BAD home, where there was alot of drug use and drinking and fighting and not a very good home - the guy who had thought he knew everything about birds and would clip her wings way to short - making them bleed and instead of treating them would throw her back in her cage and let her fend for herself - when I saw her one side was completely dripping blood all over the cage , perches it was a mess. I talk him into selling her to me after - Paulie bite his wife in the face and they were going to kill the bird - I have had her now going on 3 years and she is wonderful - she hates men and DH has tried to make friends with her but they have come to an agreement he dont pet her she dont bite him.
    from her leg band it says she born in 7/ 03.
    she has a wide vocab. - she says : pretty bird, pretty boy, good boy/ girl , what, peek a boo , come here , ouch , thank-you
    sounds she makes : barks like a dog, whines like a puppy , coughs , makes noise that kinda sounds like a dog chew toy, blows kisses

she has some issues from her other home - if you pick up anything that looks like a stick ( broom, hammer, back scrather etc... ) she will scream bloody murder, if she is not getting attention she will scream her head off, if she shes people she dont know ( mostly men ) she screams , if you raise your voice - yeap she will scream - so we try to not do anything to set her off.
    she is a great bird to have around and can be very loving when she is in the mood, loves her toys, and if the dogs put their nose to close she gives them a nice bite to remind them to leave her alone.
    I want to build an outdoor cage for her so ahe can enjoy the sunshine and fresh air and give her a birdbath to play in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is Paulie's house mate Cupid - a peach faced love bird who was born on Valentines - so this year she turned 2
    [​IMG]

these are some eggs from cupid - there are not fertile so I let her have them for about a day before I take them away from her

[​IMG]

well hope you liked my other feather babies - they are my indoor flock LOL

Julie

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

CUTE!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    [​IMG] that cage looks pretty dirty...

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    that cage looks pretty dirty...

Is that really nessecary? IMO, not everything we think in our heads needs to be said. Just something I learned as a young adult.

Bird are DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY creatures. I could scrub my parrot whole cage from top to bottom with a scrub brush and it would look horrid within hours. You are seeing the drop pan, the bird is not in it or walking in it.

Thanks for sharing your parrot story. Im glad he ended up with you.​

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  5. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    nice parrots c4c. glad you rescued that one.
    point made tiff

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Love your babies! I can't wait until the day I can get a parrot of my own. I'm partial to rose breasted cockatoos and mollaccuns (sp?)!

Birds are EXTREMELY messy! Even the sanctuary where I work can be a complete disaster a few hours after I've cleaned. We try hard to scrub the pans and wire bottoms, but sometimes it can be a useless task! A lot of people get birds and don't realize how very messy they are. Hence the reason there are so many ones needing new homes all the time.

I recently came across this wonderful website that teaches people how to use clicker training to calm mean or wild parrots. http://www.birdtricks.com/ It also teaches you some neat little tricks for your birds! There is this REALLY nasty bird where I work, so I may order a clicker and try working with her.

7. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:Is that really nessecary? IMO, not everything we think in our heads needs to be said. Just something I learned as a young adult.

Bird are DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY creatures. I could scrub my parrot whole cage from top to bottom with a scrub brush and it would look horrid within hours. You are seeing the drop pan, the bird is not in it or walking in it.

Thanks for sharing your parrot story. Im glad he ended up with you.

I wasn't trying to be mean or anything! I was just wondering. The birds look very healthy. I have had and rescued parrots for years, and know they are very dirty. That could very well be taken before a cleaning, or a temperary home. I do not know and would not say anything bad about birds that appeared healthy and happy in their home.

8. Henriettahen

Henriettahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Canada
    aw so cute!

I have my quaker parrot with me right now....he wont be quiet "step up. step up" "good boy!" "uh oh" "lacy"

hahahah

I also have a peach face lovebird, they are best friends. soo cute! My quakers name is Sid, the lovebird is lacy.

9. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    thank you all for the comments on my girls they are very spoiled and well loved members of the family.
    About cupids cage ( the lovebird ) she is a VERY VERY messy bird when she eats she gets more seed on the kitchen floor than in her dish, as far as the cage - that was a parrot cage before cupid so alot of that discoloration is just something I can not get rid of - sorry- the cage does get cleaned at least 3 times a week and Paulies cage also gets cleaned at least 3 times a week.
    Believe me they are healthy and happy , and Paulie is so much happier with us instead of where she lived before getting abused.

(p.s the cage that cupid is in was Paulies and the other owner NEVER cleand it so when I got her I put Paulie in a bigger cage and did my best to clean it before I gave it to cupid )

Julie

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Bless you for saving Paulie from a life no feathered or furry or child should ever have to endure. Surrounded by love, slowly but surely their issues fade, though there will likely always be some triggers.

I've had Samantha the cat for 6 1/2 years now - I believe she was tortured on the streets of Trenton where I found her - certain things trigger defensive reactions. Hugging her through these triggers has gradually diminished these fears - most of the time now she is completely at ease. It is the best feeling in the world to help a living thing feel safe that once had a world of fear and/or sadness and/or pain.

The world is a little bit kinder because you rescued Paulie.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by