Well pooey on the hatcheries...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Feb 9, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    ...for posting cute pictures of all the birds. Now I want one of everything. Sigh. I better get these chicks soon or I'm gonna end up with a zillion of them.

My little online shopping exploratory excursion has brought up more questions. I'm sorry to be asking so many. I just have no idea what I'm doing.
    Here goes-

-Can I mix standard size and bantams in one coop and run? My want list right now includes EE, silkie and Silver Sebright bantams, as well as standard buff orps, silver laced wyandottes and welsummers. Will they all mix and play sweetly together?

- Why do some here say that silkies are evil? They look pretty darn cute and the mypetchicken site said that they were good natured.

- When you mix the fancy breeds with the more standard looking ones are there any issues with them messing with each other? I really liked the buff Laced Polish too (love the mop top!). The site said that sometimes they are kooky because the top fuzz gets in the way of their eyes. What should I know about adding some to the mix?

Thanks for the help!
    CG

2. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    polish really do get beatup with other breeds I did not think this before I had polish I thought they can get beatup only sometimes but they get beatup a lot and bad my one rooster got very bloody because some other breeds
    I think silkies are very nice unless they are broody they are so crazy when they get broody

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Is it just the polish roo that gets beat up? If I get only hens is it still a problem?

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I have 8 standard hens, 3 bantam hens and a bantam Roo - they seem to get along just fine, the little hens don't put up with ANYTHING from the big girls!
    And the little Roo keeps them ALL in line!

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My Polish don't get beat up at all...but they are with BO's that are very gentle with them. I trim the feathers away from the eyes so they can see well and seem to function better that way.

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:My polish roosters got beat up a lot. They're the only ones I've had. I bet trimming the feathers so they can see makes a big difference.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yay! Maybe I can get all the fun breeds after all!

Okay, here's another dumb question.
    I know bantums lay smaller eggs. Because I live alone, I am cooking for one. Many recipes I cut in half and sometimes the recipe calls for one egg. Is a bantum egg equivalent to half a full size egg? Wouldn't that be handy?

thanks!

8. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I have had only one problem with a polish girl getting beatup but I have heard alot of storys of polish getting beatup both guys and girls

9. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, here's another dumb question.
    I know bantums lay smaller eggs. Because I live alone, I am cooking for one. Many recipes I cut in half and sometimes the recipe calls for one egg. Is a bantum egg equivalent to half a full size egg? Wouldn't that be handy?

thanks!

Here is the egg formula you are looking for thanks to Chellester! [​IMG] Below is the link to the post too.

Now that my D'Uccles (well, 2 out of 3 of them, and you know the old saying) are laying, I am focused on my freeloading standard breeds. Their faces are reddening up, but their combs and wattles are still small, so I know it's probably going to be a few weeks before I see any eggs out of them. I want to get standard eggs so I don't have to do the "egg math" with the banty eggs anymore! If you don't know the egg math, here's the formula: 3 banty eggs = 2 standard eggs. That's all fine and dandy if you got a recipe that needs 2 eggs, but wonder if you got a recipe that only needs 1 egg? That's 1 1/2 banty eggs, and I hate fractions!!! It also means I gotta crack and scramble 2 banty eggs, figure out how much of it makes one standard egg, and dump the rest down the drain. And you don't even want to get into a recipe that needs "1 egg yolk" or "1 egg white". ACK!!!!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30911&p=4

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well, phooey! 3 bantums = 2 regular eggs? Is there a bantum bantum? Argg.

(thanks for the formula though!)

CG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by