well pumps anyone

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jdeoliveira74, Mar 9, 2012.

1. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Hey
    I am having trouble with my well pump and well any one on here have any expertise. I am not a well guy although i understand how it works. I have a 40' deep well I am not sure where the water is as far as height. My pump will turn on and pressurize tank. I can run water for about 30 seconds but then the pump doesnt turn on to fill the tank back up. but if i wait a few it randomly turns on and then i have water again help trying to get garden going and water to my chicken!

2. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

I am no expert but have had well water for over 25 years, stuff has happened ranging from E coli in the water to exploding pipes geysering water through the pump house walls. Never dull when you are your own water department! My first thought with what you described is possibly sediment getting sucked into the pump's intake. It settles out and can start again. Possibly the holding tank needs to draw down more for the pump to refill it. Our system takes a few minutes to kick the pump on. Is there a float to trigger the refill? Another thought is sometimes if the water level drops enough and the pump is now higher up in the water column a whirl pool effect can happen allowing air to get sucked in instead of water. The water out flow would be coughing and sputtering air and water if that happening. How old is the pump? They do not last forever and we count ourselves lucky when a pump gives us a little warning of trouble brewing. Sometimes it is worth rebuilding them sometimes the fastest solution is to get a new one. Hope this is helpful. Good luck! Keep us posted on what you find out.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: The pump isn't supposed to come on until the pressure drops to a set level.
    You should be able to run water for longer than 30 seconds before it comes on, depending on the capacity of your tank.

There should be a "tire" type valve at the top of the tank.
    Cut the pump off and open some faucets to drain the tank, then use a tire guage to check the air pressure.

It should be 2 lbs less than the "turn on" setting on your pressure switch.

If you are losing ALL pressure before it comes on, there may be a problem with the pressure switch itself.

It will probably look like this:
    http://www.fixya.com/uploads/Howto/88E284B.jpg

This may help too:

http://inspectapedia.com/water/Water_Tank_Bladder_Adjust.htm

http://inspectapedia.com/water/WaterPumpAdjust.htm

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  4. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    ok so my pressure switch is new its a 30-50 swich so my tank should read 28 lbs of pressure. I will check tomorrow to see what I have thanks for the help hopefully that works!

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    It is probably a bad relay in your control box. The big round brown one usually goes out, there is a cardboard thing on the bottom if it is protruding outward it is most likely shot. A pump supply can check it for you.

6. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    thanks will check that also today! if my tank isnt the problem

7. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] It just so happens my hubby is a well contractor and has over 30 years of experience. I'm not sure where you are located but I will Private message you his phone number. he might be able to tell you over the phone what you need to do.

8. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    ok So i bit the bullet and purchased a new pump and bam water... thanks for the help!
    Jon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by