Well Pumps

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dunkopf, May 6, 2011.

1. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Just sitting here waiting for a little more warmth before starting the work for the day and need something new to worry about.

Is anyone knowledgeable about how durable well pumps usually are. I assume there are different quality pumps out there. Mine is a pusher and I've always wondered if it puts an undue amount of stress on it to irrigate my garden with it. We probably use it about 4 hours a day continuously for the garden. We use drip hoses to minimize waste.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm sure there are tremendously different qualities, but I'll just mention my folks put an electrical submersible one in 38 years ago and used it a lot. They may have replaced it once. I'm not sure. I am sure they have not replaced it more than once. For about 35 of those years, that well provided all the water to the house.

The more you use it, the sooner it will wear out. But I'd think that similar to most things mechanical, there is more stress and wear in starting and stopping that in running once it starts. A lot of times that is because of it needing to get the lubrication started, so with these submersible pumps, that is probably not as much a consideration.

Another thing to help you worry is that it is usually better to use the mechanical device regularly instead of letting it set and freeze up.

I'd also think it would be better for it to pressure up a tank then rest than to continually pump. Not sure how yours is set up.

I can't really address your specific problem, but I can tell you that in at least one case an electrical submersible pump has lasted a long time.

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Any pump supply store has or should have a book that has all the specifications for setting well pumps, depth, horsepower, on/off settings, GPM, it covers every aspect of setting your cycle time for pump longevity.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I was attracted to this thread because I am buying a little house up in the foothills on about two-thirds of an acre, and it has its own well. The pump report indicates it's got a low flow, and it's recommended I either purchase a storage tank (there is none, just the pressure tank thing) or have the well dug deeper as it's fairly shallow around 120 feet.

I have NO clue what type of pump is being used or anything else, so I think I'll continue to watch this thread.

5. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    For some unknown reason, my parents home sets directly over their well.
    The well in underneath one of the bedrooms.

No ideal why. It was like this when they bought the home. I'm told the original
    home there burnt down. Foundation stones indicate the home was about 100
    feet behind the present house.

My parents house has county water, as it did when they bought the place. The
    well still works, supplies one outside spicket. Low water pressure, and very irony
    water.

No ideal of what type of pump works it, other than electric. (I know what fuse it is.)

Odd part is this is on top of a hill. Highest hill in the area. Yes, a stream about 4-500
    feet away, bottom of hill and across a field.

But my parents bought the place back in the 70's, and the electric pump still works.
    Just no ideal what type or brand it may be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by