Well, she is a rooster...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eblaylock, Jun 13, 2018.

1. eblaylock

eblaylock In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2018
    My daughter received 2 chicks from a friend in March, bought at TSC. Both sex-link pullets. A Golden comet (Nugget) and a Sapphire Gem (Smokey).
    They are both thriving and loving the backyard life.
    Smokey surprised us, and is a cockerel.
    So, we have 1 of each. They are inseparable.
    How do I handle having one pullet for one cockerel?
    Can it be done and maintain Nugget's well being? IMG_20180612_191841_183.jpg

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That can't be a true Sapphire Gem - somebody messed up somewhere. Sapphire gems are 'black' sex links, just blue in color. A male Sapphire Gem would be barred.

But he's definitely a cockerel. He's just not a Sapphire Gem.

Unfortunately a one to one ratio is unlikely to work well. You'll want to get more pullets or rehome him and get another pullet.

Clucking_Crazy and eblaylock like this.
  3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    One to one ratio likely won’t work,unless he isn’t that hormonal which is unlikely.
    I would Seperate him until
    He is atleast right or nine months,and have etctra pullets waiting on him,maybe five or six more pullets.

eblaylock likes this.
  4. If its from TSC then its from Hoover's.
    Theres a thread here about sapphire gems. Seems they've screwed up on what they're doing to produce them.
    Haven't check thread in a few but their gems didn't seem right.males without headspots or barring. Males that looked solid but barred later.
    IDK biggest mess I've seen in a minute.

eblaylock and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  5. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Songster

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.
    What a cutie Nugget is though! :bun

eblaylock and vivaciouswoman like this.
  6. JiminyChristmas

JiminyChristmas Chirping

Nov 1, 2017
    Pretty rooster either way. I got a buff Orpington in my last batch of Rangers from TSC.

TSC chickens are like a box of chocolates...

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! He's very handsome, and if he's polite to humans and the pullet, I'd get more pullets and enjoy having a very cute cockerel.
    This is an enabling site, don't expect a lot of advice to shrink your flock! More is good, as long as it's legal where you are, and there's good housing for them.
    Mary

8. llombardo

llombardo Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I bought 4-2 turned out to be boys. The one boy has started going after the girls, the one has not. They have seemed to kind of pair off. I do have 4 younger girls not in there yet. Still not a good ratio,but I'm playing the wait and see game. They are only 15 weeks or so. They had one physical altercation I broke up when they first got outside. Then for a few days the one challenged the other and they had stare downs. Then they went to the one challenging the other and the one being challenged walks away. Now it's every now and then. When they go to sleep it's girl, boy, girl, boy.

Here they are just relaxing together, which I can only hope stays the same. I'm fond of both of them.

image.jpg

eblaylock and vivaciouswoman like this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!! Lovely cockerel, whatever breed/cross he is.

It might be ok, it might not.
    You'll know when his hormones start to flow(~3-4months old) and he starts trying to dominate/mate the pullet. She won't be ready to submit as females sexually mature a couple months older than males do. Be ready to isolate him asap cause if/when it goes bad it happens fast and pullet can be seriously injured.

You'll have to decide what your chicken keeping goals are. Unless you want fertilized eggs for hatching you don't need any males. If just pets with benefits, keeping a male can be great or a nightmare.

Depends on where the TSC(state/city), my TSC orders from an in-state hatchery.

10. LittleCheepers

LittleCheepers Chirping

Oct 28, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I just wanted to say what an adorable picture of them! Love it as your avatar - it would be hard to top that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by