Well. She's a Barred Rock. UPDATE: I kinda think she has SOME marans.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosyposyosy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Got my first egg from my "cuckoo marans" I got from mypetchicken. Brown. Darker than our current eggs, but not marans brown in any way, shape, or form. The bright yellow lgs were a give away. What I think is cool is that she turned 24 weeks today. It was smaller than my banties egg. I took some pictures, but I can't seem to figure out how to upload them from my camera to the computer. Just got a camera... I really didn't think she'd lay this soon. Her comb has gotten bigger, and she's been squating for 5 weeks, but her comb was no where near red. Anyways... I got 3 eggs today... One light brown (banty cochin) one blue (EE) and one normal darkish brown (BR). 3 outa 3.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Figures. Some breeders use BRs as fake marans because of the similarity in the chicks.

3. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    why don't they just got more marans? What is the need of similar looking chicks?

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Marans are slightly harder to find than barred rocks, so I guess that's why.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I paid extra to get all girls and they (mypetchicken) sent me 2 roosters [​IMG] Then to add fuel to the fire [​IMG] ....they saw my post on here about it and offered to make it right if i would email them [​IMG] So i emailed them in oct or Nov and they ignored it [​IMG] I guess this is how we weed out the bad from the good [​IMG] there are others who will fill small orders.

6. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    i forgot to mention, I went on an order, since I could only get 1 more chick, I finally find a hatchery that sells marans, in a small order at that... Well, they completely messed up the order. sent EE's instead of Partridge Rocks, and sent no austrolops..

7. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    from left: BR's, Banty Cochin's, EE's, Store bought eggs.
    [​IMG]
    And the crew: Tonight
    [​IMG]
    and another view, with my EE's egg, my BR's egg, and my Banty cochin's egg
    [​IMG]

8. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Oooo your EE egg is pretty! Love green eggs! [​IMG]

9. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    oops... sorry, i guess my banty cochin is a little poopy... [​IMG]

ok, i admit it, her egg is darker... I didn't realize it before. It just isnt as dark as I expected it to be...
    So. The toll. Do you think she has marans in her?

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't know the specifications for a maran vs br, but I do know that often the marans from hatcheries have only slightly darker brown eggs than regular brown egg layers. To get the real chocolate dark ones, I hear you need to go to a breeder. Similar to the EE/auracuana/americana or how ever you spell it ordeal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by