Well, shoot!

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
So, I just found out that the thermometer/hydrometer I have has to be completely in the bator. My humidity in the bator is unknown until this point. Today is day 18 going into 19. The outside humidity of the room has been anywhere from 45% to 56%, the bator never went dry and there was no condensation. Yesterday I put in two soaked rags to raise the humidity. This morning condensation started, so I started researching. I got the humidity down to 88% right now. Could I have already drowned them? This is obviously my first hatch.
roll.png

Crack the bator with a pencil between the lid and bottom and let some of the humidity out. If all your trays are full of water syphon some out. You can candle the eggs and look for movement near the air cell (it is the only way I can see at the end with goose eggs). That will at least help give you an idea if the ducklings are still alive and if they have pipped the air cell. The best method I know is the wait and see method when it comes to hatching.

I am waiting on geese to pip. I am at hair pulling stage myself. I candled mine and can see movement poking at the air cell. I am hoping for a pip today - day 31!

Ok. I have the bator cracked with a pencil. The temp dropped two degrees, so I wrapped the majority of the bator in a blanket. I only have the middle tray filled with water - no sponges or rags. I have the top vent plug open and the lid cracked open. Readings are 97.2 temp and hi on hydrometer.

Miss Prissy, you rock my unborn chickies world! The pencil trick worked. I have the temp at 98.2 degrees and humidity at 69%, so I closed the bator lid, still have the plug out and the blanket wrapped around it.

Keep a watch on it. The temp will come back up. With the plug out the humidity should stay reasonable.

I don't want to give you a downer but you have to know that development sustained under high humidity for extended periods can cause deformation of chicks and ducks and geese. If they don't hatch you can have some assurance it was due to the high humidity. Take this as a learning lesson and try not to dwell too long on it if it fails. Sterilize your bator and set another clutch of eggs. Go to the library and get yourself a good book on hatching and read read read. You'll be better prepared and understand all of the environmental effects on eggs and the developing embryo.

Now the temp is at 99 and humidity is 84%. I have read all of my books and so many websites, including the info on BYC. I'm just so disappointed because the directions on the hydrometer weren't clear. I read them twice and my husband even read them. I'm just praying that the humidity in the bator wasn't too high, but it probably was if the humidity outside the bator was in the mid-50's.

I'll be mad at myself for a few days or so, it's just how I am, but I will definitely try again. My husband said I can't tell him if some don't hatch...how on Earth can I hide it if none hatch...

His mom does work at the farm supply and said they have some chicks. The poor guy just takes it so hard when animals get sick or die, even if he does loath my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom