Well since breeding season is nearing...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tlammy, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Tlammy

Tlammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    How long does it take for a hen to lay a fertile egg?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Depends what you mean by this uncertain post. usually about a miniute to pop it out her vent. by hen on a duck board do you mean a chicken or a duck? a duck about 24 hours from start to finish a chicken about 25 1/4 hours. and if you mean from hatch to egg laying time it varies so much there is no right answer.

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    goosedragon left something out: It takes at least three weeks and at most 2 months from breeding to fertile egg.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry Ducks and Banny hens can you please elaborate a little on the information posted above as I do not understand it as written?? Are you speaking of only young ducks say under the age of 16 weeks that have not laid before?

While it is well known that ducks mate before females are of laying age, this does not neccesarily equate to
    It takes at least three weeks and at most 2 months from breeding to fertile egg

When swapping males in a breeding pen it is reccomended that two weeks is given before assuming the new eggs laid are ferilized by the new drake - so I dont quite understand where you may have gotten your information from.​

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I mean that from the time of mating, following the cell through it's various processes, to the time of laying. It varies approx..
    Occasionally hens may 'hold' or 'carry' the, uh, you know, for up to 2 months (really rare) but usually only up to 3-4 weeks. (I think the long term one is when mating happens right before molting.

6. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    After ducks mate, they will lay fertile eggs from day 2 (the day of they mated the egg will not be fertile since it is already too far along, and has already started to form the egg white and the shell).

After that, if you separate the males and females, your females can lay fertile eggs for quite a while. 3 weeks is usual, but cases of up to 2 months have been reported.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by