Well.....since the breeder TOTALLY missed the boat on that other breed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by totribet, Aug 13, 2011.

1. totribet

totribet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    I gotta ask. I know they are young, but do you think these are really Rhode Island Reds? Or should my depression be complete now? LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I have four brand new chicks that look exactly like these and they are Golden Sexlink babes. Guess you might have to wait and see how they grow.

3. totribet

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    [​IMG] I may never shop from this guy again!

4. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    They look like they are....

5. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Well what were the sold to you as?

6. totribet

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    Well they were sold to me as Rhode Island Reds, which is what i really really wanted.....but I was also sold 2 supposedly Buff Orphingtons, but I found out from posting a pic earlier that they were really Cornish X and won't live long. So I'm checking on these.

7. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    They do look like RIR's. I am not fully experienced in purebreds, but i have two that are little EE/RIR mixes and they looked like that, only they were a bit darker.
    One thing I can tell you is that these are keepers. Not meat chickens. They are very pretty.

8. totribet

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    Whew. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good, cuz the more their feathers come in the prettier they get. They are beautiful. That makes me feel better....still sad for the Cornish X though.

9. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I know, it would have made me sad too. HOwever in the chicken kingdom, there is stuff to deal with all the time like this. I had to give up three babies that turned out to be males and I know all three are going to be dinner at the farm that I gave them to.
    Then there are people who have lost hens from predators. It is part of poultry farming and I hate to sound crude when I say this, but it is something that you have to sort of get used to or you will be an emotional wreck having chickens.
    I try to enjoy my chickens to the fullest and not think about the day when they stop laying and might then be a liability instead of an asset. It is a good thing that chicks are so cute as that can take your mind off the losses and sadness when others might have to go or be taken.

10. totribet

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    For real!! And I do know that. I mean we lost one chick today.....just went missing outta the coop. Not sure how or by what and I do know that stuff happens. So I'm not falling apart, but a little disappointed for sure. On the other hand.....this little snafu means I get to get a couple more chicks without guilt according to the hubby! HAHAHAAHAHAHA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by