1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well that settles it... (*with pics*)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jan 16, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    About a month ago i posted a topic regarding the sex of my duck Victor... I was confused because he was exhibiting signs of both male and female traits. My other duck ming mei is defnitely a female, she's small and quacks really loud. Victor is huge compared to Mingy (they are both runners), maybe a whole pound and a half heavier... He also seemed more dominate, sometimes mounting ming mei in the tub... But he had this strange quack that's higher toned but kinda whiny sounding. So we were waiting for either eggs or sex feathers to know for sure... well it's happened...

Vicotr LAID EGGS!!!! I had my ducks in their diaper harnesses while inside while i was cleaning out their pen on my patio. I went to take the diapers off, there was a cute little green egg sitting amongst the poop. I think even he was surprised!

So my little Victor is a Victoria.. lol.... We decided to keep calling him a him and not change his name... I mean he's a duck, he doesn't know any better. lol...

Victor, the proud "momma" with his eggs:
    [​IMG]

Not to be upstaged, ming mei also laid too:
    [​IMG]

This picture just proves that runners are scared of EVERYTHING! Here's me showing Mingy her egg as she flees for "her life". lol
    [​IMG]

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Hurrah, congratulations.

This is a great excuse to get them a nice young man [​IMG]

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Maybe you should name her Vicky or Victoria. [​IMG]

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    we thought about that... two problems... He only responds to Victor and Duckie, lol.... I tried Vicky but it didn't work, lol... Also, my fiance is in law school, and his law school mentor is named Victoria... She might be offended, lol.

5. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Congadualtions on the egg!!!! Where did you get the nice diaper harness/??

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Aren't ducks simply awesome?

7. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    beige harness i got from thegoosesmother.com, i've bought maybe 3 or 4 from her. But my ducks kept getting bigger and fatter and the harnesses are kinda expensive. I realized i can sew fairly well, so i figure out a patteren and i made the rainbow looking harness my self. It doesn't work as good as her when catching poop (the pocket is a little too deep) but i am working on it. I can see why she charges 30 dollars for one, they are super hard and time consuming to make!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by