1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well that was an interesting chicken day!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by maxpedley, Feb 2, 2014.

1. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    So a week ago someone came and stole half of my flock( mainly layers) and so I was down on numbers. So I rang a friend of mine who has around 11 thousand free range hens, if he had any I could have as I know at this time of year he gets rid of all his layers. He said yes and so we went down this morning and picked up 10 ex layers. He asked me if I wanted any more, and how could I turn down an offer like that. So he took me up to his other farm where he keeps his son's pure breds(his son has gone off to university and is trying to get rid of most off his stock) and we went into the first shed where their was meant to be 1 legbar roo abd 2 ex layers keeping him company. The reason being because last time I was their helping process around 100 turkeys(only a 10th of the total camount he had just before christmas) he gave me the two legbar hens as payment and put two ex layers with roo. Anyway the roo had completely vanished. No predator could have possibly gotten in. It was a sealed stable. He gve me the two layers and we went into the next barn where their were silkies, a silkie x legbar roo and a light sussex bantam. He picked out the light sussex and the two light sussex x silkies and gave them to me leaving a quartet of silkies and the crossbred roo, however the roo did not seem right. We believe he may have had gapes as his mouth was open and he was panting, but all the other birds were fine. He then despatched the roo in a most peculiar way. He took it by the head and he did an action similair to whisking a cake mixture. After only two rotations the bird was dead. (about 2 secs) We didn't find out about the missing rooster howver I am vey pleased with my 12 ex layers, 1 light sussex bantam and 2 silkie x sussexes for which I payed nothing. They all settled in fine when they got home, even laying a couple eggs on the 1 hour journey.

2. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    wow, all that for free??? man, I wish I had a friend who farmed chooks :)

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    11 thousand free range chickens? Dang! That's a lot of chickens! Welcome to BYC!

4. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    yes Im glad i know someone who farms chickens. His friend also has a game farm which I visit and he gave me a batch of red leg partridge to hatch and hopefully this year i will get some more and possibly some grey partridges. At this garm farm they breed over a million pheasants a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by