Well, that was awkward....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by donrae, Nov 5, 2014.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My sweet honey made an early run to the feed store after dropping the boys at school. He came home and unloaded all the feed, came in and mentioned spending $70 on chicken feed. Then he wanted bacon and eggs for breakfast and I had to tell him we don't have any eggs [​IMG]. The old girls are taking a break, and the new girls haven't started yet.

He was not amused.

I bought Nazi eggs at Wal-Mart tonight [​IMG]

2. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    Awkward...

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I so understand where you're coming from!

We have spent so much money on our chooks of late - repairing their coop, buying feed, setting up extra waterers for the upcoming Summer etc. I think our eggs are averaging at about $250 each at the moment!

To make matters worse, our flock is only 5 hens, 1 rooster and 8 chicks, and of those one hen is a very sporadic layer, one is still with her chicks so not laying at all, and one is only just returning to laying after having chicks.

We get, on average, one egg a day [​IMG]

We had a brief spell a few months back where everyone was laying and we actually had to give eggs away. We long for those days to return!

- Krista

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's another thing, I'd been gifting eggs to some folks and now had to cut them off. You'd think I'd been their crack dealer, instead of eggs the way some responded!

5. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    lol

6. 10whiskers

10whiskers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Florida
    [​IMG]

7. :lau

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  8. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

This got me thinking...what do my eggs costs. So I did an honest calculation and with 22 hens averaging 13 eggs per day in a 30 day month factor costs of feed, grit, oyster shell, bedding/nesting materials...it costs me 32 cents per egg on average. That does not include costs of my labor...which, as we all know, is a labor of love. So, store bought eggs in my area are currently about 2.98 per dozen or 25 cents per egg. So for another 7 cents per egg I know what is actually going on my plate, I know that my hens are happy and healthy and well cared for. Seven cents per egg buys me peace of mind, a clean conscience and a healthy breakfast. Not bad actually.

1 person likes this.
  9. jgfetter

jgfetter Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Galena Ohio
    :yuckyuck

10. evemfoster

evemfoster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    NE, Wa.
    I think of it this way. I used scraps and leftover building materials to build the coop. Between nails and screws and chicken feed i am out just over $200. So that first egg cost $200 and i one had a expensive high class breakfast. The rest of the eggs costs about 25 cents each and i am getting expensive for cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by