1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well, that's a new one!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by erinszoo, Jul 16, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Anyone have geese who like to crunch on ice cubes? My Embden geese have always nibbled on me and my clothing and my lawn chair when they want to be held. Today one of them stuck their head in my glass of iced tea and began to munch on the ice (it was already crushed). Before long both of them and my duck and turkey were munching away on my ice, so I sent my son in to get them a bowl of ice - which they very happily devoured crunching all the way. [​IMG] I'm assuming ice isn't going to hurt them any more than nibbling on dirt.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I'll have to try that tomorrow, its going to be hot here.

Thanks for sharing.

Little Jack took a sip of my Coke this afternoon, but didn't seem to like it.

3. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Well, they've happily munched on ice every afternoon now for several days and seem to expect it when I go out to check on them. [​IMG] Who would've thunk it?

4. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    They learn very quickly. After just a couple of times, mine have learned that water comes in bowls or cups as well as in their little cement trough pools.

5. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Mine loves ice. I don't even crush it, she does a great job of doing that herself.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  6. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Hey, how's she doing? Obviously she hasn't left you. I know you were worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by