Well that's not an Egg! (Rooster)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nes, Jul 2, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    She already tried to give me this rooster once, because her roos were fighting. So when hubby stopped by our former neighbours to ask about fertile eggs for our broody hen, she was kind enough to give us a couple but the deal was he took big boy home with him [​IMG].

Oh well. He's very pretty, just not what I was really looking to add to my coop, so he's going to be a barn rooster (yeah, we'll see how that goes...)

[​IMG]

Sorry the picture really isn't great, he isn't overly friendly (I think it's more that she has a smallish coop and we let him loose in the yard, so FREEDOM!).
    Don't worry! The cat did NOT get him! She is not a huntress [​IMG].

He does have a long blue/black tail, but obvious signs he's had some nasty scraps in the last couple weeks (Almost nothing on his neck).

So... any idea what he is? Hubby remembered he was a year & a half, but that was about it [​IMG].

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

By the looks of that picture, I know what he is,......... DINNER! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Quote:Peaches couldn't catch a mouse if you tied it's legs together [​IMG]
    Actually our older cat frequently catches mice FOR her and has been trying to teach her to hunt, and Peaches always lets them get away.
    She did actually get one yesterday, but it may have been dead before she got it [​IMG].

No chances of her taking on a full grown rooster, the other cat... yeah, that may be what happens to him if the dogs don't figure out the "do not chase the birds" thing (not really fair to them, they are already full grown and have never seen live chickens before). That's the good thing about having a Roo for them to learn about chickens from, and this guy is supposed to be tough.

(FYI He's in the barn now, and away from all our pets [​IMG])

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Our cat was GREAT at catching mice in the middle of the night. She wouldn't kill them, but jump in bed with us & let them go! [​IMG]

5. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    My old kitty used to do the same thing with sparrows [​IMG] They are just trying to teach their poor pathetic humans how to hunt [​IMG].

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    *slightly* better photo of him.

[​IMG]

Something with a big long tail [​IMG]

8. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I can't tell from the photos what kind of comb he has- but he looks like a Sumatra to me. They are known to be a bit "flighty" so his unfriendly nature fits. Beautiful boy whatever he is- congratulations.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  9. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Maybe a BCM or a jersey giant.Not a sumatra they have a pea comb,the roo in the pick has a single comb.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by