Well.....The Canadian Armada has returned.............

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blondiega1, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    And the boys couldn't be happier to see some new and old friends that pass through every year!

[​IMG]

In this one you can see Dos,(the hooded merganser who has set up house keeping here), at the top of the picture.

[​IMG]

My boys and Dos

[​IMG]

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Let the migration begin. Honk Honk! [​IMG]

3. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    We have Canada geese off and on all year long.
    Every time they arrive the boys are so excited to have a flock to swim and hang with!

I think these are migratory, but they could be resident geese. Hard to say for sure.
    Last year we had a group that stayed all winter into spring and summer and raised their gosling here!

Sweet to watch the babies, but a pain in my behind to keep them out the duck food and off our dock! Geese are poop machines!! [​IMG]

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Cute! I was at the lake yesterday and I saw some wild Canada geese and was very surprised! We have three domestic ones and the wild ones were a bit smaller. I don't think that I've ever seen Canada geese migrating through San Diego before. Mostly, I see domestic ones.

5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Could have been lesser canadian geese, they are a heck of a lot smaller than the greaters.

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:I didn't know there were lesser or greater Canada geese. I know I could only report Canada or cackling geese in my area to eBird and cackling are said not to live in my area. It's possible, though, that's what they were.

7. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    We had a couple of flocks of those hosers flying overhead this morning. My ducks "talked" to them. Not sure if they were making fun of their accents or wishing them a nice trip [​IMG]

9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. taras.farm

taras.farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Eastern Ontario
    [​IMG]

you guys are too funny...
    hey what caught my eye was that i have a group of geese that visit my creek behind the house and they always have a pair of mergansers with them....interesting!
    My ducks wish they could be with them too...i'm sure they recognize eachother every year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by