1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well..The chickens are here!.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dash Riprock, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    We just got our girls settled into their new home. How long should I leave them in the confines of the coop before turning them out into the yard?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If your yard is fenced, you can let them out. You may have to herd them back inside the first few evenings. Some keep them inside a couple of days first, so they can imprint on it, but that's more for guineas (who need to stay inside a month before you let them out). They're standard breeds, as I recall, not bantams who can fly well, right?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. Dash Riprock

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    Quote:Yes, all are standard. The youngest RIR is already in the nest box. Maybe I'll get a first day gift [​IMG][​IMG]

The people we got them from were very nice and full of helpful advice.

The adventure begins!:eek:

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

DASH RIPROCK!!!! OMG. Another Beverly Hillbillies fan. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know. I got a chuckle out of that. We have a few Elly Mays, too.... spelled several different ways.

6. Dash Riprock

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    Quote:Thanks for the nudge...We let them loose after about an hour in the coop. They seemed to be very happy and at ease. LOL...My son (13) said "Man, this is better than watching TV." You can't buy this kinda entertainment with cash and a co-signer.

Chickenz R Kool!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Dash,

I'm one of those folks that if'n I lost a chicken cuzzin I let it out of the coop too soon, why, I'd feel lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut...

Me, I'd probably keep em in the coop for fer a day er so, just so they know where home is.

M...

Another avid, BH fan... who just went out to check the coop next to his cement pond in the backyard.

8. Dash Riprock

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    Quote:M, thx for the concern, but we were with them the entire time. All but one of the girls "kenneled up" on their own. Just checked on them and they are all setteled in.

BTW...I still watch BH on TV Land on a regular basis. That stuff never gets old.

I need to find an avatar of the man, themyth, the LEGEND!

Dash [​IMG]

9. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

We love the Clampets too! My kids have grown up listening to their dad quote Jed's wit and wisdom, lol. "There ain't no point, I just like tell'in it"

10. Dash Riprock

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    Quote:I am now at the "Someday I'm gonna have to have a long talk with that boy." stage. 13 yr old son that does a lot of huffing and sighing after being gifted with sage advice. [​IMG]:barnie

Dash

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by