Well, the dog nearly killed my jackass drake today...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CaptainQwak, Jan 3, 2014.

1. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    And if he had I wouldn't blame the dog one bit. This duck attacks me every time I walk outside and antagonizes the dog to no end. Snapping at his butt, squawking at him, splashing him from the pond, etc. I have tried everything to chill this drake out and he has not improved. I tried a Suprelorin implant and after nesting in my lavender for a few weeks he went right back to his annoying ways. This duck is an idiot and keeps going after the dog (small chihuahua mix) even though he's been bitten twice. I try to supervise the dog at all times outside, but the duck snuck into the house when my back was turned and there was a fracas in the kitchen that ended with two punctures in his bill. He was very fortunate the damage wasn't worse. Cleaned it with peroxide, covered it with a band-aid, and gave him some Bactrim... think he will recover. Keeping him inside in his pen until it heals up.

But the big issue is that it is just a matter of time before the dog kills him. His behavior is just so bad and he is too stupid to learn from his mistakes... so weird, because his father (our other drake, who I adore) is so intelligent and well-behaved. I'd hoped that age would chill him out, but no luck yet. I've often thought it would be more humane to euthanise him and spare him a painful death -- either from the dog or me, weary of the abuse -- but the older drake enjoys his company (most of the time).

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he were mine, I would find a new home for him.

3. CaptainQwak

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That really isn't an option. I'm curious why you advised culling the other annoying drake and rehoming this one?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Two different issues. This drake is endangering himself. If the dog kills him, he earned it. The other drake is human aggressive. Too many kids have been injured by human aggressive male poultry.

5. CaptainQwak

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This drake is also human aggressive, which is why I would not feel comfortable rehoming. Can't risk someone else being hurt. I also don't want to chance him passing these god-awful traits on. Maybe I just need to build a mini Alcatraz in the pond. Lock him up forever. LOL.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I had the same problem but it was my dog and my gander, when we would be outside with everyone and my dog would walk by my gander would nip her on the butt if he got the chance, One day the gander came to the back door and knocked my dog med size mix breed stuck her head through the dog door and grabbed him at chest level, thank goodness he was in full feather because it looked like she had pulled every feather out of course they were in the house since she grabbed and stuck her head back inside, I just knew my gander was going to be mortally wound, He wasn't but made me realize I had let this get out of hand, Then we got another goose so we had 2 bully's on our hands, I went to the gooses training thread and started training myself to train my dogs and especially my geese not to attack the dogs, I used a long pole [mop handle] and every time my geese would get that look like they were lowering their heads to come after the dogs I would put the long handle out between them and say NO to the geese, and tell the dogs leave it. Most of the time the dogs are afraid but will not take much in the line of bullying. The main thing was I had to always be ready to train at a split second. and not let them get away with it one time. so it takes dedication on our part. This may work with drakes too. I have even just barely touched my goose on the tip of her tail to get my point across and boy she doesn't like that. But most of the time now they leave the dogs alone or if i see something starting i can just use my voice and most of the time Missy and Sam stop. I was told and I believe it, We are first in the dominance role our human family is next in line then out dogs/cats[in other words hands or bill of off these.] Then comes the rest of the family be it ducks/geese roosters etc. Just the way it is. Might be worth a try.

7. CaptainQwak

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks so much, Lydia... this is great advice. Most of my "training" has been focused on the duck, trying to establish dominance and put him in his place. Unfortunately, the duck is a lost cause as nothing works and it has been years. I'll try focusing on the dog and their interactions and see if that helps at all. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by