Well then....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmwright, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    I guess this means I need to put a top on it? This didn't happen until I got the two new ones. I just know it's the California white pullet that's the ring leader. I put chicken wire on the top afterwards and around 6:00 am I found her on top again.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Silly little chickes. Your daughter is pretty. Good luck to you with them fuzz butts.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    GREAT picture!! [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Well then... I had the same situation. Them chicks do like to be as high as possible right? A protection instinct I guess. The only solution is to bear it until they can go out into their coop and run.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My outside brooder will be getting higher sides this evening for exactly the same reason. Each morning I'm finding more chicks running around the porch than I am in the brooder. [​IMG]

6. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    They are so cute and your daughter is beautiful!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

First, let it be said that I am NOT a good housekeeper. I clean when I have to, not when I should, using a sliding scale from "untidy" to sometimes close to "Gag! - clean this NOW!" When food falls on the floor, the dogs get to clean it up first, then I scrub that spot afterwards.

But my bathroom has a tile floor. Real tile. No bathtub, just a shower stall. The brooder is in the bathroom. I do not cover it. When the chicks learn how to get out of it, I just clean up after them. It's only chicken poop, not dog poop or elephant poop, for god's sake. (It's actually less nasty than when I had to clean what my various former husbands did to the OUTSIDE of the toilet.)

I cheer the chicks on when they're learning how to fly to the brooder's edge. I congratulate 'em when they make it out and wander around in the bathroom. And cheer even more when they figure out how to fly back INTO the brooder.

Granted, I've never had more than 7 in the brooder at a time; usually it's just four or five or six at a time. Also, I struggled with my relaxed attitude when I got two ducklings... oh lordy, they needed higher walls on that brooder!!! Good thing they go outside younger than chicks do!

So I think it's adorable when chicks get out of brooders. That's just me. I think I was an indulgent auntie, too.....

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I unfortunately have been afflicted with OCCD (obsessive compulsive cleaning disorder). I inherited it from my mother. I keep a pair of flip flops just outside the front door to put on the instant I step on the porch. I'm freaking on all the BCP - baby chicken poo. DH is like, it's just poo, it'll wash off. The brooder didn't get higher sides today like it should have. DH is not feeling well. The chicks get one more day to roam freely about.

9. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:I unfortunately have been afflicted with OCCD (obsessive compulsive cleaning disorder). I inherited it from my mother. I keep a pair of flip flops just outside the front door to put on the instant I step on the porch. I'm freaking on all the BCP - baby chicken poo. DH is like, it's just poo, it'll wash off. The brooder didn't get higher sides today like it should have. DH is not feeling well. The chicks get one more day to roam freely about.

Hey Gritsar, would you like to come visit me? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  10. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX

My kids tell me I have OCCD cause I can't handle anything smelly, dusty, or slimy but I can clean it , unlike my 9 yr old son when I asked him to get the bleach rag to wipe some pew up he gagged the entire time and refuses to ever do pew duty ever again lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by