Well there go my guard dog plans

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by conny63malies, Dec 21, 2013.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Last night my oldest came running " Mom, mooom there is a possum in the backyard" . I went to check sure enough there was a possum helping itself to leftover dog food. Which isn't bad, since we don't get any poultry and livestock until my husband retires from the Army and we move in march. The sad and bad thing was that Copper our basset was still outside in the dog house, less than 12ft away from the possum. He just sat in there doing NOTHING. He didn't come to check until I let Beanie the pug out to scare the possum.( hey its Friday night and we were bored and had nothing better to do than scaring possums). I kind of had my hopes on Copper staying with the goats to keep them safe. But I guess he isn't much of a LSG dog . At least Beanie charged until the critter fell over, after that they both sniffed it a couple times and went on their merry ways to bed. No worries it got up five minutes later and went under the fence. [​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Basset hounds are not hunting there search dogs aren't they? If i seen a possum in my yard it have a bullet in its head. Lol

3. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I live in Ft Knox right now, if I start shooting at midnight in the housing area i'd have about a dozen cops in the yard within minutes , but once we move the possum would have a .17HMR problem.
    :) Well they are hunting dogs , but they are scent hounds. They track down what you set them on or will track a wounded animal. Unfortunatley he is 25 % sight hound, more than likely redtick coonhound. He has the eyes of a scent hound and the nose of a sight hound. So he kind of sucks at hunting and tracking. But according to Beanie, Copper is really fun to play with since his ears make fab chew toys.

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011

I love his name. Lol. Makes me think of the hound in fox and the hound. Lol

5. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    That's what my husband named him after. lol His copper colored hair helped too. Beanie was named after former Ohio state player Beanie Wells and Scooby... I let you figure that out by yourself. [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's funny--you posted you live in Ft Knox, my mind went to coops/runs/fencing and my thought was---then how did the possum get in? Then my poor brain finally made the connection....Army.....military.......Oh, the REAL Fort Knox, not a metaphor! [​IMG]

Glad Copper has a purpose in life, and it was sure nice of you to get Beanie a chew toy [​IMG]

7. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Yeah the real Ft Knox. I live less than two miles from the Gold Vault. WE hardly notice it anymore, just something that sits between the golf course and the Hwy. I watched the possum leave to see how it got in the first place. It went in under the chainlink fence gate. I thought it was a hole that our mini dachshund made, but now I think it was the visitor. Taylor, the one who saw it, later asked me if people eat possum. She is willing to try any kind of food- as long as its not shrimp flavored. BTW Copper also makes a fabulous door stopper and wind catch when they are in the dog house. I still don't get why he barks at other dogs and even humans that walk by but lets that dang thing eat his food. Do possums bribe dogs, and if so with what? [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know, my dogs bark just to hear their heads rattle sometimes [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My dog "cornered" a possum in the barn, but was almost afraid of it. [​IMG] What are you going to do?

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    We don't shoot anything here-- deterents and fencing h elp keeep our losses down. Live and let live.

Love that the pug helped out!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by