Well this is bad

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Arkantex, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Been working and they shut us down today because of the wind at 5pm. Winds were 50-60 mph with gusts at who knows what. I thought "Great I can go home and hang out with my family." I get home and find out that the coop that I have been working on blew over. I haven't built the run and I was going to anchor it down to the posts for the fencing on either side. Well it fell back, broke the glass out of the door, broke the door, partially knocked the roof off when it hit the ground... Thats what I could see. It is way to heavy for me to lift by myself. I am going to have to use the auto crane on my work truck to stand it up tomorrow... If I get off work in time. Needless to say we are thankful that, due to situations at work, I wasn't able to have it finnished yet. If we had the coop finnished the chicks would have been out there. That would have been bad... Real bad

So, has this happened to any of you?

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I am so sorry this happened to you. We live in Al and have a chicken tractor. We get some strong winds, but have not had it happen to the coop part. It might be because it is
    low to the ground. I have had the tarps snap off the run part...even with them anchored a foot in the ground. The cords just snapped. I think the winds reached 70 or so when that happened.

I am glad your chicks were not in it.

3. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    So sorry to hear that this has happened. thank goodness your chickens were not in there.

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Have had a lot of things blow down, blow over and just simply blow away....but thankfully, not the coop!

Glad your peeps were NOT present! Good luck getting it right side up again. And please be careful of the glass!

5. Junaleefarm

Junaleefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Crane, Mo
    I build all my little out buildings and coops wider than tall this will always keep them from blowing over. It is a pain in the hind-quarters doing anything in them, I don't try to spend much time in there anyway. These are built very simple and cheap, everything is 4' or 8' to minimize cuts. I can build one in a couple hours for less than $100 including the tin for the roof.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by